Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go big or go loud

Default Go big or go loud

Just back from a 24 day camping trip to the south end of the island. Let me say I have been very close to big bears many many times. I camped off a old logging road in great comfort,I'm old. On July 2nd like a hundred times before I took the dog for a short walk down the road. The dog ranged around thirty yards ahead of me then stopped and looked to the left hard,I thought porky for sure. I looked left and about twenty yards from me and the dog was a sow with two second year cubs standing looking at the dog,I said Sid come. The bear looked at me and I yelled hey BEAR. I learned the word bear in grizz means you stupid fat ugly ***** and she and the cubs charged. I right away noticed my 44 was not in my pocket but safe back at camp in the shade. I did not brace myself,I would go down easy.As she hit the side of the road maybe twenty feet my NAA blackwidow 22mag went off over the sows head. I preach shoot the bear but 22mag noise was better in this case. As the gun fired the cubs piled into each other hitting the sow in the butt and the fight started as she rushed them back to the starting place,damm. She then saw the dog running to me and the chase was on with the cubs right behind her,I shot higher over their heads as I didn't want to hit my dog,they were close. The cubs piled up and the fight was on again back to the starting point. Three shots left and I knew the next shot would be at a cub to make it squal. The sow turned a run off with the cubs and a second latter the bride came around the bend with the truck to save the day,it made the sow leave for sure. This was my first time being charged by a sow with cubs,I'll take boars everytime they don't seem to be a problem.I learned if my right suspender ain't pulling my gun ain't there and there is no short for sure walks in the woods.Thank god for the little NAA that's always hooked to my suspenders strap.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Glad your safe and had an exhilarating vacation..............

Holy Smokes! Glad to hear you made it out of that one. I guess that goes to show that the best bear gun is the one you have on you.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Glad the noise worked for you.

Didn't for me. Had a camp-breaking bear on a remote river- folks before with messy camps had taught it that camps meant food. We'd never needed an electric fence there before, so arrived without one. Doh...

This bear was so bad you couldn't leave camp unattended, and someone had to be awake all night long. All of us were getting cranky after a few days, even the bear. There were a couple of other camps not far away that got broken up every day, but we remained virgin.

I decided I'd had enough one day when the bear walked up to camp and stopped about 20' away. I picked up my 375 H&H and carefully aimed a shot right over it's head, as close to between the ears as I could manage without cutting hair. Had to drop to one knee to make sure to keep the rest of the bear out of line of sight. I was figuring the combo of boom, powder stink and a big bullet breaking the sound barrier between its ears would have some deterrent effect.

No dice. First shot the bear didn't blink, twitch or flinch. Second shot, same results. Third shot same results. I was so pizzed by then it's a good thing the gun was empty. Picked up the full coffee pot of hot water off the stove and threw that at the bear. Had the desired effect of running it off that time, but only made it stop at 40 feet on the next visit.

I'm still cranky about folks who teach bears to break camps, then leave the mess for the next folks to come camping.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Yea it was the bawling cubs that stopped her but the noise made the cubs bawl. I wouldn't do that with a lone bear.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Wow, what an adventure. You reach for your saviour and, alas, it's gone. Uh oh, now what? Improvise!

You must have nerves of steel. Great story and thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Yea it was the bawling cubs that stopped her but the noise made the cubs bawl. I wouldn't do that with a lone bear.
    You ain't zactly ready to be a turd in the forrest after all. I am afraid that had it been me........once I realized that my 44 was gone I would have envisioned a flannel shirt in a turd pile.

Glad your still with us. Never met ya Will but think I'll buy one of those little guns in your honor.... which one do you have again?

GF lives way up Strawberry. She talked me into going on a walk with her to the gate at Spirit Lake a few days ago......un-armed. That ain't happening again.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

EKC I was thinking about my sig line as it happened. Pretty well surrendered to what was about to happen but worried about the dog,go figure. In Viet Nam no matter how close hand to hand and guns I always felt I still would be alright and I would win. Not so in this case,I had no chance to shoot or fight my way out of it and I made peace with the outcome with hundreds of good thoughts going through my mind.Some how I still noticed action of cubs and sow and what was happening. It was like my soul was ready to go but reflexes still preformed actions. When it was over I was still standing in the same spot but a few seconds felt like a slow motion hour just like war. Heck even in my wreck with a big phone company truck and me on my sportster I said side bike,tuck and roll I hade a chance.After insurance ended up with much better bike.

So glad you're still in one piece Will and not the turd you speak of so lovingly...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    GF lives way up Strawberry. She talked me into going on a walk with her to the gate at Spirit Lake a few days ago......un-armed. That ain't happening again.
    You might recall I live up off of Macky Lake rd. these days. Despite that guy killing that 10'er with his 454 during a "quick walk" a few years ago, I still see so many people walking/jogging the road all the time. Haven't seen a one of them carrying anything........not even bear spray. You know that if they can walk into downtown Soldotna during the middle of the day, they can walk into anywhere.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Glad you got throught that experience Amigo... close call for sure.

I wonder if anyone has used (with success), a gun that lobs a noise maker towards the bear. Like an M80 effect or so. Seems like that might get em thinking differently about their intentions. Hell, that might be illegal for all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post

I wonder if anyone has used (with success), a gun that lobs a noise maker towards the bear. Like an M80 effect or so. Seems like that might get em thinking differently about their intentions. Hell, that might be illegal for all I know.
    You just never know what will work on a bear. Will was lucky, many bears have been known to attack BECAUSE of the warning shot....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    So glad you're still in one piece Will and not the turd you speak of so lovingly...!!!

You might recall I live up off of Macky Lake rd. these days. Despite that guy killing that 10'er with his 454 during a "quick walk" a few years ago, I still see so many people walking/jogging the road all the time. Haven't seen a one of them carrying anything........not even bear spray. You know that if they can walk into downtown Soldotna during the middle of the day, they can walk into anywhere.....
    She had bear spray, but there was a pretty good breeze. Would have made the spray useless if the bear was up wind.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You just never know what will work on a bear. Will was lucky, many bears have been known to attack BECAUSE of the warning shot....
    Years ago on a caribou hunt across the Inlet, my dad fired off warning shots to scare of a sow with 2 year old cubs. They came full tilt boogie.

Wow, sure would have loved to see that, ah on second thought maybe glad I didn't. Glad your Ok. How long before the dog would leave the tent again. Just wondering seems some have opposite reactions. Friend of mine who lived in Montana some years ago, said that the imported bears around yellowstone had learned that gun shot meant an easy meal since the bears were protected. Wonder if some of these bears have learned the same lesson.

The dog won't cross the bridge walking that way anymore.It was his favorite route till that happened plus he stays a lot closer. We walk till the first turd shows up n the road then he is ready for home. Funny he pooped on a bear turn a few days earlier and kicked up dirt like he was bull of the woods,thats changed

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post

I used to have some cracker shells for a 12ga that lobbed a big firecracker up to about 80 yds or so. Made a pretty loud bang.

Always kinda wondered in the heat of the moment if I'd lob one behind a bear and scare it toward me!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Amigo:

I'm glad you're still with us.

I bet that little 22 mag. gun makes a Lot of Noise.

I fired a 280 cross the bow of a Blackie, one time ago, and it acted like it didn't even notice.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Will, have you forgoten your 44 since? Ha....bet not.

I just missed NAM age wise but have several good friends that saw the whole show. One in particular survived hamburger hill. He is a good sized fella and is as kind as they come but there is a side of him that needs to be left undisturbed. Fellas that have been to NAM have the ability to reach a little deeper than most. I can't think that a bear would be any more fearsome than knowing that there could be a jacked up Viet Cong gorilla behind the next bush with an SKS. I'm thinking that had a whole lot to do with you keeping your witts in the bear charge.

I love my Jack Russle/ King Charles Cavalier cross to pieces. He does not know that odds are not in his favor against most critters 10 x his size. I love him to death but in that situation I mighta yelled "sick em" Hank......and he would have. The bear mighta got him him but he'd be one dizzie bruin from running in circles trying to keep that little rascal in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I used to have some cracker shells for a 12ga that lobbed a big firecracker up to about 80 yds or so. Made a pretty loud bang.

Always kinda wondered in the heat of the moment if I'd lob one behind a bear and scare it toward me!
    If you go through any training with them, the idea is to shoot them into the ground in front of the bear- most certainly don't want them going off behind the bear.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast