Thread: North Beach Camping

Default North Beach Camping

I know camping is not permitted on the north shore within the dipnetting area. But are there any laws that says I cant drive up the beach a couple miles and set up camp and then in the morning drive back to the dipnetting area? The beach goes for miles and miles.....

If you are referring to the Kenai, I believe camping is allowed in the dipping area, unless they have changed the laws this year. Kind of expensive though and it is actually gets quite crowded.

I think this will help to answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.ci.kenai.ak.us/node/258

Quote Originally Posted by Burntfrog View Post
    I know camping is not permitted on the north shore within the dipnetting area. But are there any laws that says I cant drive up the beach a couple miles and set up camp and then in the morning drive back to the dipnetting area? The beach goes for miles and miles.....
    Be careful. There are a lot of places on north beach where the tide comes all the way in to the bluff. Also if you camp above mean high you will be on private property. There is an access easement along mean high which I think covers camping, but you're still on someone's land so just know that.

From the website:

Camping: Camping on the beach is not permitted to the right of S. Spruce St. towards Nikiski. Camping is permitted to the left towards the mouth of the river. Tents must stay 25 from any vegetation and your paid camping receipt must be visibly displayed on your tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    From the website:

Camping: Camping on the beach is not permitted to the right of S. Spruce St. towards Nikiski. Camping is permitted to the left towards the mouth of the river. Tents must stay 25 from any vegetation and your paid camping receipt must be visibly displayed on your tent.
    I understand the north beach of the dipnetting area is closed to camping, but where does that restriction end? The beach goes all the way to Nikiski and then some. seems unreasonable that 30 miles of beach is closed off to camping.

I called parks and rec and Kenai city council and they both said they didn't know where the restriction ended...

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Be careful. There are a lot of places on north beach where the tide comes all the way in to the bluff. Also if you camp above mean high you will be on private property. There is an access easement along mean high which I think covers camping, but you're still on someone's land so just know that.
    Im looking at going this weekend, there appears to be some pretty minimal high tides...14-16 feet

I understand the north beach of the dipnetting area is closed to camping, but where does that restriction end? The beach goes all the way to Nikiski and then some. seems unreasonable that 30 miles of beach is closed off to camping.

I called parks and rec and Kenai city council and they both said they didn't know where the restriction ended...
    Good question. The pic on the website doesn't show much beyond the parking area. Like Smith said, you will probably run into private property issues once you leave the Kenai owned beach area.

Just don't be one of those people that camp right at the bottom of the stairs. All their junk is in the way when trying to come back with your gear and fish.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Just don't be one of those people that camp right at the bottom of the stairs. All their junk is in the way when trying to come back with your gear and fish.
    What he said! I wish they would create a no camping corridor at the bottom of the stairs in an attempt to fix it, but as Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid"