Thread: Best place for Butt/silver combo?

Default Best place for Butt/silver combo?

Alright brothers, I am getting medically separated from the Army after 17 years of service and will be returning to God's country towards the end of August and early September. I have never done a combo trip before, but caught halibut out of Ninilchik and Valdez and silvers out of Valdez and Seward. I am only gonna get one shot at putting some fish in the freezer this year and plan on taking my family of 6 with me. Just wondering if anyone has personal experience and would recommend a specific charter or what not. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

I have not fished much salt in Alaska besides here in Sitka. But I can not fathom any other place being better at the end of August for Coho and butts. 6 fish limit on coho, and the halibut will be in thick then. Plenty of great charters here too.

Supporting Member

Yup Sitka or west coast of POW

A few options. Kachemak bay has its silver run as well and halibut aplenty. You may be considering travel logistics with for your family and want something on the road system?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, It would cost a bit on the ridiculous side to fly six people to Sitka. I was looking at the Homer area as a possibility, load up the RV and go down there for a weekend. I've caught Halibut down there, just never fished for salmon except the spit for kings.

Had family members come up late July last year and did a charter out of Homer. I think we had six fishing on board. Got our limit of butts, one short of the limit on silvers, and saved a few pinks too. (Probably could have had our limit of pinks too). Was great fun mooching for the silvers/pinks. I had never done that before. Family even got some great whale watching entertainment. We are doing it again this year in a couple weeks.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

End of this month the reds are in China Poot, halibut still strong and silvers as well. Got a king, a pink and halibut limit today. But I am biased I live here, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk