Thread: Seward/Valdez

Default Seward/Valdez

I have some family from the lower 48 that sunk money in plane tickets and can't really go on a charter. Any advice for salmon from shore in Valdez/Seward?

Are your family members already in town? If so, folks are beginning to hammer the pinks from Allison Point in Valdez. Pinks aren't always a crowd favorite but in my experience there's millions of em down there. And they're super easy to catch on pixies and vibrax spinners from shore. Boat loads of fun, too! My Mom and Dad were up from AZ this time last year and I couldn't have them visit AK without catching salmon. My solution for an elderly couple? Allison Point and pinks the day after we took a Stan Stephens tour out of Valdez. BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM, etc. They had an absolute blast, especially my Mom, who caught twice as many as Dad. She had old crusty farts approaching her, asking her for secrets and tips! lol

Any silvers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Armorer73 View Post
    Any silvers yet?

No,, just spent 3 days fishing Valdez, far out as Goose Island,, No silvers yet. Lots and lots of pinks.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

A bit early yet. We'll know something by mid-August. I'm just hoping that this year isn't a repeat of 2013!!! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Armorer73 View Post
    Any silvers yet?

Interested in this thread as we are hitting Valdez 7-9 August this year and hoping to get my visiting brother into some silvers ideally or maybe need to do less boat grinding and more Allison point pink cleanup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a bit early, IMO. In my experience silver fishing is best the last week of August and first week of September. Guys with boats will be getting them earlier further out of course but the fish won't be on the point and the harbor area until later. My reservations at a local campground are for late August, when we normally get into them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    Interested in this thread as we are hitting Valdez 7-9 August this year and hoping to get my visiting brother into some silvers ideally or maybe need to do less boat grinding and more Allison point pink cleanup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silvers are just starting to show up in the bay in Seward. They are outside and running deep at 120-150 ft but don't want to eat. We snagged a few from the beach in town a few days ago.

We picked up some out near Montague earlier in the week. They seem to be scattered with singles and small schools right now. Best luck came mooching from 80-120 feet down picking them up as singles. Definitely not hot at this point.