Thread: Predator Addict

Default Predator Addict

Something about this boat just seems to fit my needs. I wasn't looking to upgrade, but I went to Compeau's to look at the SJX, and my wife noticed this bright red Seaark Predator sitting on the lot. We took the SJX for a test run, and I was very impressed, but I couldn't get past the reduced amount of room up front compared to my 20' Predator with the rear consol. The handling of the SJX was amazing though, very impressive boat. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra 10 grand on it, but I was tempted with the black ice bottom and the slick winter camo wrap on it.

I bought a Predator with the 175 horse back in '04 and beat it up pretty good on the Ivishak and Echooka for 4 seasons. I replaced the bottom and sold it to a couple, and purchased a near clone with an '08 model and the 200 Optimax. Still a 20'er and rear console. I've added a bit of character to the '08 over the years, and have been contemplating upgrading to the 22' model so we have more room for the family. Craig had a guy wanting to pick up a used Predator, so I ended up selling the '08 and picking up the '16 a few days ago. We took it for a spin on the Tanana and Chena the other night and it seems to be much quieter than the '08. The girls love the extra room in the rear, and the GatorHide interior is a very nice touch. The handling isn't quite as responsive as the 20'er, but I'm getting used to it quickly. There also seems to be a lot more throw in the throttle to get up to higher RPM's.

It's going back in on Monday for a black canopy, stomp grate lever and throttle handle extension. The fuel gauge isn't working, so I'll have to have them look into that as well. I upgraded to a double axle trailer since I see myself making more trips down to Valdez with this one. I'll be picking up a bunch of accessories for the Caprail system as well.

Nice looking boat! Post up some more pics when the new top is installed
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Here are a few shots of the canopy on the boat. There is a stretch fabric on the sides which will be a real nice option when the temperature starts to dip and the canopy gets tight.

I also had a stomp grate handle added. Hoping not to have to use it very often, but I have a feeling it will be a very nice option when I do. I am also going to get a throttle handle extension mounted up, but that is in the works to find the best way to attach it to the existing throttle.

nice boat I know I still love my SJX, I know what throttle extension handle does but I have never seen one can you post pics
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I don't have any pictures. They had a prototype but they were having an issue with the set screws that attached it breaking off. They aren't going to install them until they get the issue figured out. I did see a photo of it though and it's pretty slick. You remove the ball and install the extension. It comes straight up for a couple inches, then angles back around 45 degrees or so for 8 or so inches. The angle on the extension allows you to still grip the stock handle and have the ability with your hand to move the neutral lock up and down to switch into forward or reverse. It looks like it may take some getting used to, but I think it will be fairly easy to get from forward to reverse in a hurry once used to it.

Did Compeau's do the the Stomp grate lever? If so, how much did that run?

Yes, Compeau's installed the lever for me. I don't know how much they run. Craig added a few items for me since I've been a good customer over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Yes, Compeau's installed the lever for me. I don't know how much they run. Craig added a few items for me since I've been a good customer over the years.
    They have change the lever since I got my SJX looks like its much improved.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association