Thread: regs. question

Question regs. question

Does anyone know the regulations about fishing for other species in areas were there are kings (if you don't have a king stamp).

When would it be legal for me to start fishing Ship for silvers, without a king stamp?

Also, in areas that are closed to salmon fishing, is it legal to drift over/behind them for trout?

Thanks for the help, James

I say don't be cheap and buy a king stamp....j/k. Honestly, I don't know if the regs actually cover those situations. If you're not fishing for kings, it should be pretty evident by the tackle that you use. Have you tried to talk to game and fish about this?

Default Trout ok

Its legal drifting through kings or any salmon if you're fishing for trout. Just don't do it with a salmon rod.

Might be tough to convince the Troopers you're using 30 lb line and 4/0 hooks for rainbows!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Its legal drifting through kings or any salmon if you're fishing for trout. Just don't do it with a salmon rod.
    This is not particularly true. If you want to fish Willow Creek during the week for trout you would be fishing illegally. It is closed right now during the week to all fishing. It is in the regulations on page 28 at the top left. Different rivers have different regulations so a more direct question as to where you are wanting to fish is in order to clarify the matter.

On a different note there are alot of waters that once you retain a king you are done fishing there for the day period and if I'm not mistaken you are done fishing any water that is open to king fishing as well. You can't keep a king and then go fish for rainbows but you can fish for rainbows all day until you catch a king.

I reread your post and I don't know the answer to fishing in ship creek or how they would react to you fishing in waters open to kings. I would assume you would be ok to fish for trout in waters that are open to kings without having a king stamp but you know what assuming does.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 07-05-2007 at 01:17. Reason: addition

Email fish and game: they're usually pretty happy to answer reg questions, and any reg info from random posters on a forum is bound to be suspect :-).

Default Has to be open to trout

Yeah, bighorn is right. The water has to be open to trout fishing. If the water is closed to fishing period you can't drift through them on closed days. But if the water is open to fishing, just not salmon, you can drift through them.

Our regs are pretty confusing for someone who doesn't fish here a lot and even if you do, gets pretty confusing.

my recommendation would be to buy a king stamp anyways, but if you refuse, then yes you can fish for other species w/o a king stamp. i would also recommend using tackle & techniques that could not be confused with those used for king fishing. it will ultimately be up to a f&w officer and/or a judge to decide if you were targeting kings w/o a stamp.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Thanks for all the advice.

I don't want to get a king stamp because I have not been a resident for 1 yr. and therefore would have to get the $100 NR stamp, which is not worth it.

Once king season closes (July 13 in many places?) would you be allowed to fish for other species?

The drift question was directed primarily @ areas like campbell creek, where salmon fishing is altogether prohibited.

I thought you could get a king stamp for just a couple of days if you weren't a resident. My dad bought one a couple of years ago when he was up here....I think it was good for a couple of days. I take it you're not military? If you were it would only be $20 for a stamp.

N/R can buy a 1, 3 or 7 day King tag, just like a license.

Part of the reason I don't fish fresh water is all the screwey regs and closures. In the salt, you need a king tag if you're "targeting kings"... So what do I do differently for Kings vs. cohos or dogs (or ling cod for that matter?) There's no tackle difference, trolling speed is the same, etc... We fish with and without King tags all the time... if you don't have one, but fish for cohos, you just can't retain a King should one be hooked.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]