Thread: UP the Gulkana River with a freighter.

Default UP the Gulkana River with a freighter.

Does anyone know if you can go UP the Gulkana River. Looking at a map I'm wondering if it is possible to float the 3 miles or so down to the West Fork of the Gulkana from Paxson Lake and then motor back up the Gulkana to where you started from? I know it's swift and there are rocks. But just wondering if it's too swift and too rocky. Don't really want to do the alternative which is continue down the Gulkana.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

in the late 76 /77 I went just like you said an came back up to the lake lot depends on you an what type freighter you have,
    your skill, did not go too the cabin, don't know how the park people will look at it today, [it is a park now I think] , the people that rent rafts up there should be able to fill you in on it ,
    did it with a grummen & good lift, 15 HP , 2 cycle, lots of props if I remember correctly, will it help SID

Thanks Sid, I thought if anyone had done it you would have. I have a grumman sport boat with a mud motor. I think maybe not enough power to make it back up.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    don't know how the park people will look at it today, [it is a park now I think]
    I'm impressed that you did it. I don't think I could with anything short of a low-draft PWC or something like an airboat, and I'm not sure I'd want to take either of those downstream.

That said, it's not a park. BLM recommends that the state not allow motorized craft, but BLM does not have authority over the water, only the lands, and the state doesn't follow their recommendation. Personally, I have great appreciation for our Wild and Scenic River system, and I gladly follow the BLM recommendations, but that is simply a matter for myself to decide for myself. Only the State has the authority to keep motors off the river, and they choose to not exercise that authority.

air boats are great but I don't think they would be for that river, where I was it would do lots of damage to the rig I think , could be wrong,
    even TYONE river is ruff on AIR Boats, lots of rocks an to much boat speed for that river but I could be wrong,
    Have been in the sport boat but not with a mud motor, I know it will go in thin water but don't know how well it works in a rocky river ,
    like bouncing back an forth around rocks, also your skill , that means a lot in how you read the river, good luck SID
    Like TYONE RIVER , have seen people go down an back on the same prop , an also seen the prop destroyed in the first mile let alone the next 30 miles
    an still be in good shape