Thread: Summer trip ideas

Default Summer trip ideas

Taking the family out for a family road trip this summer, wife, 15yo son, mother in law and two dogs. We are gonna drag the boat with us for the trip and put it to use as much as we can. The plan is to spend the first two nights at Lake Louise at our cabin, then head north and make a loop through central coming back down and ending at Big Lake at our other cabin. I am looking for ideas of places to stop and stay/visit along the way. I looked at Paxon and Summit lake, maybe Kings river before we hit Louise. Probably hit the hot springs too. Not familiar with this area at all and to be honest we have always vacationed outside Alaska. We decided we would like to explore the state this year. We have roughly 12 days to make the loop, so we can hit a bunch of spots or stay at a couple real nice ones. Any help/guidance/locations would be great. We will be traveling with two vehicles and so we can/will be hauling a lot of camping gear and supplies for the trip as well as emergency roadside gear and boat safety equipment, I am a safety guy and an medic so I got more than anyone would need for both aspects.
    2003 22' Thunder Jet Alexis Classic
    ~MPI 5.7L 320hp w/ Hamilton 212
    ~Suzuki 9.9hp kicker

Tangle lakes is a beautiful area with great fishing. Just drop anchor where the river dumps into the lake and catch til ya can't catch no more. There's a lodge across the street from the campground with great food and atmosphere.

Harding lake or Quartz lake are a couple more ideas on the Richardson. Oh and Delta Clearwater campground. Beautiful river with monster sized grayling.

When you say 'hot springs' did you mean Chena hot springs? If so, there's several pull outs and 2 campgrounds on chena hot springs rd to stop/camp and fish the river by foot. Or if your boat is capable there's a launch at 28ish mile.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Depends on if capable you mean skinny and shallow water or big and swift water, I have a 22' Thunder Jet Alexis Classic so skinny water is difficult without good knowledge of the waterways. We had thought about Chena, Google (sounds total tourist) shows some hot springs NE of Fairbanks that look like you could run to by river, didn't look more than a quick glance though.
    2003 22' Thunder Jet Alexis Classic
    ~MPI 5.7L 320hp w/ Hamilton 212
    ~Suzuki 9.9hp kicker