Thread: Summer trip ideas

Default Summer trip ideas

Taking the family out for a family road trip this summer, wife, 15yo son, mother in law and two dogs. We are gonna drag the boat with us for the trip and put it to use as much as we can. The plan is to spend the first two nights at Lake Louise at our cabin, then head north and make a loop through central coming back down and ending at Big Lake at our other cabin. I am looking for ideas of places to stop and stay/visit along the way. I looked at Paxon and Summit lake, maybe Kings river before we hit Louise. Probably hit the hot springs too. Not familiar with this area at all and to be honest we have always vacationed outside Alaska. We decided we would like to explore the state this year. We have roughly 12 days to make the loop, so we can hit a bunch of spots or stay at a couple real nice ones. Any help/guidance/locations would be great. We will be traveling with two vehicles and so we can/will be hauling a lot of camping gear and supplies for the trip as well as emergency roadside gear and boat safety equipment, I am a safety guy and an medic so I got more than anyone would need for both aspects.
    2003 22' Thunder Jet Alexis Classic
    ~MPI 5.7L 320hp w/ Hamilton 212
    ~Suzuki 9.9hp kicker

Quote Originally Posted by AKTT View Post
    Taking the family out for a family road trip this summer, wife, 15yo son, mother in law and two dogs. We are gonna drag the boat with us for the trip and put it to use as much as we can. The plan is to spend the first two nights at Lake Louise at our cabin, then head north and make a loop through central coming back down and ending at Big Lake at our other cabin. I am looking for ideas of places to stop and stay/visit along the way. I looked at Paxon and Summit lake, maybe Kings river before we hit Louise. Probably hit the hot springs too. Not familiar with this area at all and to be honest we have always vacationed outside Alaska. We decided we would like to explore the state this year. We have roughly 12 days to make the loop, so we can hit a bunch of spots or stay at a couple real nice ones. Any help/guidance/locations would be great. We will be traveling with two vehicles and so we can/will be hauling a lot of camping gear and supplies for the trip as well as emergency roadside gear and boat safety equipment, I am a safety guy and an medic so I got more than anyone would need for both aspects.
    We just stayed at Earthsong Lodge last weekend. It's just north of Healy. Was a very nice place to stay with some good Grayling fishing available if you don't mind hiking about a 1/2 mile across the tundra to get to the lake. They do not allow smoking of any kind on their property. The wife and I really enjoyed our stay there. It's a 10 minute drive from the Park and great vittles at 49th state brewery.

Louise and Susitna are nice, Paxon lake is good, the Chena is fun, Tanana is good too. Then Big su on the way back to deshka or flathorn or up the yentna. Have a good time!