Thread: Juneau Fishing

Default Juneau Fishing

Hello all, I am coming up from the Seattle area to spend a week in Juneau the first part of August. I have all my own gear for salt,river, and lake fishing and would appreciate any info that I could get for fishing the area. I plan on doing a halibut trip during one day, but for the most part would just like to enjoy some regular, non-tourist, type fishing... catch and release is fine as well. I will have my own transportation and be staying near Indian Cove. Thank you...

Indian Point would be a good location for silvers and humpies. That's the Island with land bridge at Auke Rec. I like lower to mid-tides best. DIPAC is out as you want a non-tourist experience. There are some good spots to fish in the Mendenhall channel at low tide and the mouth of Salmon Cr. is not too touristy. The returns at Sheep Cr. were VERY good for silvers last year. I'd go at low tide near the channel marker. Dolly fishing and humpies should be good in Fish Cr. - there are several good pools above the Douglas Hwy bridge.

Thank you very much, that info sounds great. The place I am staying is real close to that land bridge you mentioned. I have a lot of river and shore fishing stuff, mostly baitcast and spinning gear and a little bit of 5/7w fly gear... what seems to work best? I am very new to flyfishing, but have been thinking this might just be the best place on earth to teach myself.