Thread: Which GPS for navigation/fishing?

Default Which GPS for navigation/fishing?

I currently have a lowrance elite 7 and it's just a little slow with my navionics plus chip. I've been looking at the hummingbird 999ci SI HD and the Garmin 840xs. I've heard Garmin gets the best coverage in AK but is the humminbird good as well? Thanks for your input.

I have a lowrance elite 5 dsi. The gps runs on navonics gold. I couldn't be happier with the proformance of the gps.....but that's where the love stops. The sonar is crap. It's ok for very shallow lakes and rivers but that's it. Currently I am adding a Raymarine a78 with chirp DownVision sonar. I loaded the lighthouse charts last night and I'm quite impressed at the detail and info it provides. I'm almost done with the install....mounting radar tonight but I can't wait to test it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

I am also interested in what folks would recommend. The Lowrance Elite 7-Ti was recommended to me but I see some Garmin and even Humminbird units get better user reviews - probably most Lower 48. So, hopefully some more Alaskan boaters chime in with their experiences. Thanks!

Depends entirely on where you're going to operate. Nearshore and shallower waters, you can get away with a lot less sonar. But out in deep water more is better. Most GPS are pretty good if they can get a clear view of the sky. If in a cabin boat, you might well have to mount an external antenna. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind with that particular boat. GPS displays are a little different from company to company, so it's a matter of what feels right to you, and with prior experience, what you're used to seeing and where to find the buttons.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I have the Lowrance Elite 7 TI with the Navionics Plus chip. Prior to going to Valdez for the 4th of July weekend I uploaded all the new chart updates and sonar updates. Having used various GPS's in the military I relied on this one several times to keep me off the rocks. I even used it in the rain and fog to get back to the harbor at 1 in the morning by watching the verging of all my outgoing routes. I didn't have any problems marking fish at 5-600 feet near the mouth of Jack Bay and it was spot on near Bligh reef. It is obviously user preference but I had no problems using the touch interface after calibration. Like using an iPad. Steer to in 3d was easy as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Which transducer model are you running, bfvmg?

Quote Originally Posted by bfvmg View Post
    I have the Lowrance Elite 7 TI with the Navionics Plus chip. Prior to going to Valdez for the 4th of July weekend I uploaded all the new chart updates and sonar updates. Having used various GPS's in the military I relied on this one several times to keep me off the rocks. I even used it in the rain and fog to get back to the harbor at 1 in the morning by watching the verging of all my outgoing routes. I didn't have any problems marking fish at 5-600 feet near the mouth of Jack Bay and it was spot on near Bligh reef. It is obviously user preference but I had no problems using the touch interface after calibration. Like using an iPad. Steer to in 3d was easy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrat View Post
    Which transducer model are you running, bfvmg?
    The long 83/200 with side scan, down imaging. My settings are on saltwater

I run Lowrance HDS units and GPS is fine to the point I've never had an issue. I'll lose bottom in deeper water when I'm running a 40+ mph but I dunno...is that expected? Marking fish and bait is good to go when slower at casting speeds up to cruising.