Thread: 5.7L MPI V8 and Hamilton 212 maintenance

Default 5.7L MPI V8 and Hamilton 212 maintenance

What are the intervals for maintenance on my 212? Grease points? I have glanced at the pump and not seen any zerks that I can easily see. I plan on pulling my whole fish deck off to get in to the motor and do an oil change as well. Any tips for this? My previous boat the oil filter was easy access and they had ran a hose off the drain hole in the pan that you could stick out the plug hole and drain it outside the boat, I don't think that is the case on this boat.

Boat has 267 hours on it, previous owner had pump gone through at 259 hours prior to selling to ensure it was in good working order, came with all maintenance records.
    2003 22' Thunder Jet Alexis Classic
    ~MPI 5.7L 320hp w/ Hamilton 212
    ~Suzuki 9.9hp kicker

Should only be one zerk on the pump. right of the shaft facing up, only needs 2 or 3 pumps!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Sweet, just like my old H751
    2003 22' Thunder Jet Alexis Classic
    ~MPI 5.7L 320hp w/ Hamilton 212
    ~Suzuki 9.9hp kicker

Do not pump too much grease as it will take the seal out, according to Hamilton. I have talked to them a couple pf times and they are very helpful with questions about their pumps.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Do not pump too much grease as it will take the seal out, according to Hamilton. I have talked to them a couple pf times and they are very helpful with questions about their pumps.
    Whats the recommended interval for greasing that bearing?

I only do mine in the spring before the first run.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

212 calls for grease every 30 Hrs. Or, monthly if not run every 30 hours. Mine is an 06' and has 86 Hrs. Do not over-grease. Depending on use I put a shot in it as I feel needed. Manual recommends to turn the pump 180 deg monthly during storage. I am mentioning this because the person I bought mine from did not do this. Boat was otherwise well cared for during approx 3 yrs. of storage. Moisture set in the bearing and corroded it. Normal winter lay up is probably not an issue, however I go turn it over every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    212 calls for grease every 30 Hrs. Or, monthly if not run every 30 hours. Mine is an 06' and has 86 Hrs. Do not over-grease. Depending on use I put a shot in it as I feel needed. Manual recommends to turn the pump 180 deg monthly during storage. I am mentioning this because the person I bought mine from did not do this. Boat was otherwise well cared for during approx 3 yrs. of storage. Moisture set in the bearing and corroded it. Normal winter lay up is probably not an issue, however I go turn it over every month.
    Thank you.

I have greased mine three times this year just a few shots each time. I have spent more time in the salt than the fresh water with it since June. Hope I didn't over grease the darn thing....

I think you would really have to put a lot of grease in it to cause any problem. When you replace the thrust bearing you grease it until you are getting grease coming out all around the seal. There is a gap in the bottom of the input housing where excess grease can come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion94us View Post
    Thank you.

I have greased mine three times this year just a few shots each time. I have spent more time in the salt than the fresh water with it since June. Hope I didn't over grease the darn thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    I think you would really have to put a lot of grease in it to cause any problem. When you replace the thrust bearing you grease it until you are getting grease coming out all around the seal. There is a gap in the bottom of the input housing where excess grease can come out.
    Thank you. That's good news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk