Thread: Commercial fishing fleet's schedule at the mouth of the Kenai???

Question Commercial fishing fleet's schedule at the mouth of the Kenai???

So, the dipnetting season opens on the Kenai this Sunday (7/10/16) and some of the early fish counts look promising . . . . but, does anyone know when the commercial guys will also be fishing near the mouth of the river?

I don't want to start a Personal Use -VS- Commercial discussion! I just want to know their schedule, so, that I can plan to work around it and be more successful with my dipnet.

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Call the hotline.
    That's how everybody including the commercial guys find out.
    (907)262-9611

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    So, the dipnetting season opens on the Kenai this Sunday (7/10/16) and some of the early fish counts look promising . . . . but, does anyone know when the commercial guys will also be fishing near the mouth of the river?

I don't want to start a Personal Use -VS- Commercial discussion! I just want to know their schedule, so, that I can plan to work around it and be more successful with my dipnet.

Thanx, Dave.
    Monday and Thursday 7am-7pm periods are considered "regular". Count on those. Thursday night they have a mandatory 36 hour closure till Saturday morning. So Friday PM or Saturday AM should be open water. I'm pretty sure there is a Tuesday 24 hour mandatory closure too, although that one depends on run forecast I think... If there are fish moving you will do well even if nets are out, and since they are actually quite a ways from the river mouth there can be a delayed effect when they start fishing. (I.E., don't give up on Saturday just because they are open on Saturday morning - you will be catching fish that swam past them while they were closed.)

How close can the commercial guys set to the mouth of the river? Reason for question, wonder if it would be worth dipping from a boat this Monday morning if the commercial guys set at 7

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    How close can the commercial guys set to the mouth of the river? Reason for question, wonder if it would be worth dipping from a boat this Monday morning if the commercial guys set at 7
    Approximately 2.5 miles from the mouth of the river, which is a mile or two downstream of the good boat dipping spots. If there are fish in any abundance, Monday morning would be great.

Default Commercial fishing fleet's schedule at the mouth of the Kenai???

My last post may have been confusing. Boat dipping is a mile or two upriver, so you would be 4ish miles from any commercial nets.

I'd be there for the crack of the bell Monday morning through high and to see what happens on the top half of the ebb.