Thread: 2016 Kingfisher Extreme Shallow

Default 2016 Kingfisher Extreme Shallow

Is anyone else have issues with their Extreme Shallow? We really like the boat but are having some issues with it. I assume itís all about working the bugs out.

The first issue was the rubber exhaust hoses attached to the engine (Optimax 200) that leads to the exhaust pipe was not able to support the heat being produced by the engine. A thumb sized hole was burned through both rubber hoses on the back side. The boat was dropped off with the dealer here in Fairbanks and they repaired the hoses. The following weekend the port side hose burnt through again and the starboard side almost burnt through. Having a hole in the exhaust hose results in significant power loss. There is still enough power to steer and get back to the boat launch but not much more. Itís difficult if not impossible to get on step.

I returned the boat to the dealer and they repaired the hoses according to Mercury recommendations that Kingfisher failed to follow (at least thatís what I was told) and itís no longer an issue. The exhaust pipe coming from the muffler side was extended into the rubber hose beyond where the heat burnt through but still attached to the engine with rubber hoses to allow flexibility.

The next issue was with the aluminum piece that bolts onto the underside of the Stator below the jet. The bolts were not secured with Loctite and we lost one so the aluminum piece dropped down and could have been caught into the reverse bucket preventing it from going into forward position. This would have more than likely required the operator to go into the water and move the piece by hand to so the bucket could move. The dealer used bolts that were a Ĺ longer and used Loctite so they would not back out again. Weíll test it this weekend.

[IMG][/IMG]

Other than the few issues we have enjoyed the boat and prepping for a Yukon trip soon.

The folks at ďThe Boat ShopĒ have been great throughout the process and made warranty repairs to the boat with no issues. They truly have taken care of the customer beyond the purchase.

I have wrapped mine with exhaust heat wrap just incase.

I have a 24' phanton 60/40 sportjon with the same motor and pump as u and have burned thru two sets of those exhaust hoses yur talkin about. Ak Frontier Fabrication finally used some blue metal/rubber exhaust hose and I havnt had any problems since. Also the stock reverse bucket would not back my boat up at all so I got a Wooldridge reverse bucket and now I can back my but up river. Dont have that aluminum piece that yur bucket looks to fit in in the reverse position. Other than normal maintenance now, everything works great.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

The exhaust hose burns when the cooling water flow becomes restricted. The cooling circuit that flows through the fuel rail, air compressor and then t's out to the exhaust outlets get obstructed with sand/silt and the hoses burn, mercury does recommend a sleave in the hoses but even then if this path is plugged the hoses will eventually burn again, make sure those hoses are clear of sand or other obstructions. Beer cans and hose clamps make a quick temporary exhaust hose repair to get you back to the ramp. Most builders do not Steve the exhaust hoses and the last indefinitely until the cooling water gets plugged

Keep a wrench on everything randomly as SJ's have a fair amount of vibration and bolts like to loosen up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Not trying to be smart ***** or starting an "issue", but I do have a question...why would you use Locktite and not a Lock Nut? I would think the later would be a permanent solution, not to mention a cheap one. Nothing against Locktite, but I would worry that going in and out of our frigid waters filled with silt, you would run the risk of it failing over time. I'm not a mechanic, so I could be all wet ;-) in my logic. The one thing I do know, I would love to have your type of boat :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Not trying to be smart ***** or starting an "issue", but I do have a question...why would you use Locktite and not a Lock Nut? I would think the later would be a permanent solution, not to mention a cheap one. Nothing against Locktite, but I would worry that going in and out of our frigid waters filled with silt, you would run the risk of it failing over time. I'm not a mechanic, so I could be all wet ;-) in my logic. The one thing I do know, I would love to have your type of boat :-)
    Brother your guess is as good as mine. I have no clue. The bolt that was in it originally was just a normal bolt. If it comes out again I'll be removing the reverse test piece. The XS never had an issue with this bolt coming out before the extra piece experimental piece was added (or so I was told).

We're going to run it good this weekend and see if everything stays where it's supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    Keep a wrench on everything randomly as SJ's have a fair amount of vibration and bolts like to loosen up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have a socket and wrench set that I keep onboard. It seems like there is a fair amount of vibration. I probably need to get a winch too huh?

Just got a new XS this year and will start by saying I love it. Handling and performance way better than I thought possible. That said, had a bunch of little issues - although nothing big. This is my first brand new boat and didn't expect to be fixing and wrenching right out of the gate. Already have 35 hours on it.

-replaced all the sound deadening material in dog house. Original stuff fell out on its own

-hose cracked where you can hook up garden hose to idle engine. Found this because if have a bunch of water in the bilge at the end of the day.

- all that rubber stuff they put on aluminum edges has fallen off

- adhesive that holds a lot of wires in place has all fallen off

- stomp grate was bent from factory and still trying to get that fixed through warranty. Still works, but just looks bad.

*i put the flow tech shifter with wooldridge bucket on it and it has extremely good reverse performance. Would highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk