Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pay to 'drop off' in Kenai now

Default Pay to 'drop off' in Kenai now

It has always been free to drop off and pick up if you weren't parking and staying. Now the greedy city of Kenai will be charging 10 bucks per day for drop offs. I picked up my permit again this year, and really enjoy dip netting. Usually don't even try to limit out. (25 for me) But I guess this year I will avoid Kenai sticking their greedy hands in my pocket, and just buy my salmon from a commercial guy again. He delivers to my door for the same price the cannery pays him.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Either way, sounds like you pay. On a positive note, the city actively manages that fishery and the access points, helping keep it from being the cross between Arctic Man and the carnival like the Kasilof. Funny that some are pushing to expand access outside city property despite the stark difference in management or lack thereof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Now the greedy city of Kenai will be charging 10 bucks per day for drop offs.
    "Greedy"? The huge crowds that descend on the town and the beach every year comes at great cost. The port-a-potties, beach raking, police enforcement, and increased wear and tear on other infrastructure isn't free. I've done the free $10 drop-off plenty of times before, but man...$10 isn't much to ask so that they can adequately deal with the huge burden that comes with daily crowds of many thousands of people.

And if that's really enough to keep you home, try the Kasilof. I just dipped there yesterday, and it didn't cost me a dime. I wish it had, though, as then perhaps someone could be compensated to deal with the trash that careless people leave behind. I'd gladly chip in $10 for a better managed fishery.

How much is it to park? If it costs the same then I think I will park. I agree that it is fair to pay for the support services, but if its the same as parking then I think the lot will be jammed with people who will just park. just my nickel.
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

So I wonder how they will deal with people who want to walk in off the highway? Also, I called and there will be no season passes available again, same as last year.

....and just buy my salmon from a commercial guy again. He delivers to my door for the same price the cannery pays him.
    And what's the fun in that? I thought you said you enjoyed it?......not enough? I think you were probably just looking for an excuse to not have to deal with the crowds....???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    So I wonder how they will deal with people who want to walk in off the highway?
    They will be tazed and given a parking ticket. Don't try it just pay up.

Dahhh!!!

$10 is nothing, guys. Pay to play.

The mess is going to be made, regardless of who has to pay to clean it up. The city of Kenai gets to handle the burden of cleaning, therefore gets to set the rules. The locals sure do appreciate a clean beach to enjoy the other 50ish weeks of the year.

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    They will be tazed and given a parking ticket. Don't try it just pay up.

Dahhh!!!
    I like that visual. I was thinking about cruising down the beach from Nikiski on the wheeler.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Y I like that visual. I was thinking about cruising down the beach from Nikiski on the wheeler.
    Just watch your tide book.
    Don't get trapped by rocky point on the south end or the sheet pile walls on the north end.
    Drive around the set netters lines. I'm guessing you should be fine otherwise.
    A friends dad walked in once a few years ago on the south beach.
    They tried to get him to pay and he refused.
    Nothing happened and it worked out fine.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Just watch your tide book.
    Don't get trapped by rocky point on the south end or the sheet pile walls on the north end.
    Drive around the set netters lines. I'm guessing you should be fine otherwise.
    A friends dad walked in once a few years ago on the south beach.
    They tried to get him to pay and he refused.
    Nothing happened and it worked out fine.
    They have Jersey Barriers set up just past the toll station on the south side that blocks off beach access for anybody trying to ride up the beach and avoid paying the fee. If you are trying to access via the beach better plan on it being at low tide or you won't get past the barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    They have Jersey Barriers set up just past the toll station on the south side that blocks off beach access for anybody trying to ride up the beach and avoid paying the fee. If you are trying to access via the beach better plan on it being at low tide or you won't get past the barriers.
    Friends of mine have valid mining claims in the beach north of there. The city cannot deny them access legally.
    I'm surprised the city is able to get away with putting barriers up like that?
    That's another beef I have with dipnetting. 49 weeks a year I can access my local beach for free.
    But come July 10th I cannot even drive down there to walk my dog without paying a fee.

Friends of mine have valid mining claims in the beach north of there. The city cannot deny them access legally.
    I'm surprised the city is able to get away with putting barriers up like that?
    That's another beef I have with dipnetting. 49 weeks a year I can access my local beach for free.
    But come July 10th I cannot even drive down there to walk my dog without paying a fee.

I was surprised when I saw that tonight. My first thought was if it was legal or not as well.

I have never been hassled about this, and I hit south beach quite often. I just tell them I'm not dipping and not paying.
    As for legality - the City of Kenai actually owns this portion of the beach. I believe their ownership extends further into the water and above mean high tide than is typical for this area. Their control of access to this fishery is legal.

I have never been hassled about this, and I hit south beach quite often. I just tell them I'm not dipping and not paying.
    As for legality - the City of Kenai actually owns this portion of the beach. I believe their ownership extends further into the water and above mean high tide than is typical for this area. Their control of access to this fishery is legal.
    So they let you park for free if your not dipping?
    Have not heard that one before.
    Also if they allow you down there for free if not dipping then why do they need beach blocking barriers?
    I get the part about maximizing profits and all that.
    But are there that many people there driving In from out north?
    I don't see many people doing that.

There has never been a parking lot for access from south beach - most people drive down. There is a great new access road on south beach now though, thanks to the City of Kenai...

Perhaps I just got lucky. I just point to the fact that I have no dipnets or coolers, live down the street and would like to continue my life as normal despite the crowds. The gatekeeper has never charged me.

As for the barriers - I think it's more about controlling chaos than maximizing profits. Have never seen so many unattended barefoot children on ATV's in all my life.

There is a great new access road on south beach now though, thanks to the City of Kenai...
    Last year was the first time I Dip the South beach. I could not take my pickup camper on the beach because of the soft sand. Did they fix the problem so I can, or are they still using a front loader to fill in the ruts.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Last year was the first time I Dip the South beach. I could not take my pickup camper on the beach because of the soft sand. Did they fix the problem so I can, or are they still using a front loader to fill in the ruts.
    The new road has a better approach. Let some air out of your tires. Haven't forgotten about that other issue either Mac - my sounder is now a confirmed kill and I will email you next week.

North beach or south beach? Which one has the barriers? Which one did a friend's dad walk in? The original note indicated riding down the beach from Nikiski, which would be north beach dipping.

Unk

New access road is on south beach down Cannery Road. That access is further from the river mouth than north beach. Dunno about the barriers - have not been down there in a week or so. Either way costs money but has been vastly improved by the City from the cesspool it was a few years ago. Pay up, have fun, and leave it like you found it.

If you really wanna have a good time go south beach and buy some blues concert tickets for next weekend at the Cannery Lodge nearby. Should be pretty cool.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast