Thread: Public Meetings Announced for Temporary Special Action

Chugiak, Alaska

Default Public Meetings Announced for Temporary Special Action

Just got word of this:

Public Meetings Announced for Temporary Special Action
    Request from the State of Alaska in Unit 23
    to Allow Caribou Hunting by All Users

Public meetings are scheduled for 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., July 19, 2016, at the Northwest Arctic Borough Assembly Chambers in Kotzebue; 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 pm, July 20, 2016, at the Aurora Inn Conference Room in Nome, and 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., July 25, 2016, at the Inupiat Heritage Center in Barrow to discuss a Temporary Special Action Request received by the Federal Subsistence Board (Board). Temporary Special Action Request WSA16-03, submitted by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, seeks to open Federal public lands to all users in Unit 23 for caribou hunting.

The Western Arctic Caribou Herd, a vital subsistence resource, has declined over 50% since 2003. The Board closed the hunt of caribou in Unit 23 to non-Federally qualified hunters for the period of July 1, 2016 throughJune 30, 2017 to allow for the continuation of subsistence uses by Federally qualified subsistence users and for conservation of a healthy caribou population as mandated by Section 815 of the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act.

The public may attend the meeting in person or by teleconference. Public comments will be accepted by Federal staff, summarized, and provided to the Board for consideration. These meetings will provide the only opportunity for public comment on this special action.

Detailed public meeting information is provided below:

3:00-6:00 p.m.; July 19, 2016
    Northwest Arctic Borough Assembly Chambers
    163 Lagoon Street, Kotzebue, Alaska
    Teleconference: TOLL FREE (877) 638-8165
    Passcode: 9060609

3:00-6:00 p.m.; July 20, 2016
    Aurora Inn Conference Room
    302 Front Street, Nome, Alaska
    Teleconference: TOLL FREE (866) 820-9854
    Passcode: 4801802

7:00-9:00 p.m.; July 25, 2016
    Inupiat Heritage Center
    5421 North Star Street, Barrow, Alaska
    Teleconference: TOLL FREE (866) 864-5314
    Passcode: 3091862

The Federal Subsistence Board is committed to providing access to this meeting for all participants. Please direct all requests for sign language interpreting services, closed captioning, or other accommodation needs to the Office of Subsistence Management by calling (800) 478-1456, by emailing, or (800)-877-8339 (TTY), at least seven business days prior to the meeting.
    Additional information on the Federal Subsistence Management Program may be found on the web at or by visiting
    Missing out on the latest Federal subsistence issues? If you’d like to receive emails and notifications on the Federal Subsistence Management Program you may subscribe for regular updates by emailing

Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Thank you...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

What's the over under on this one do we suppose?

It's wonderful that there will be meetings in Kotz, Nome and Barrow.....How many of you guys who had hunts planned in 23 this year will be able to attend one of the meetings?

Let me see............Bueller?.......Bueller?

Tanana Valley AK

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    It's wonderful that there will be meetings in Kotz, Nome and Barrow.....How many of you guys who had hunts planned in 23 this year will be able to attend one of the meetings?

Let me see............Bueller?.......Bueller?
    Looks like anyone with a telephone ought to be able to participate in all three.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

yep fill the phonelines at theses meetings.

Colorado Springs, CO

I'll be on the phone

I'll be on too.

Listening to the Nome meeting. Phone connection is brutal as many people signing on and off and apparently not on mute.
    ADFG reports that the last population estimate available was in Fall 2015. It was model-derived, not a photo.
    New photos have been taken but new population estimates will not be available until Oct 2016.

Local AC guy (45 yr fishery manager) testifies against. Contrary to working group management plan.

Local AC member Mr. Lane (45 yr fishery manager) testifies in support of reopener. Contrary to working group cooperative management plan.

Mark Richards, supporting request for reconsideration. Good job Mark.

Staff advises that not accepting written comments because there was no time to publish in federal register.

Lem Butler, ADFG, explanation for special action request. Population is doing well, decline has subsided, pregnancy rates and calf weights are among the highest seen. Escalates potential for user conflicts by concentrating people in state lands areas accessible to local residents. Closure is contrary to working group management plan process. Current estimate is 205,000 caribou. History of population fluctuation. Not driven by human harvest. On the cusp of seeing an increase.

I spoke in support of reopening. Lack of notice. Loss of deposits. Once in a lifetime bucket list opportunity for us.

Brandon, Nome area subsistence guy maybe. Negative impacts for people that want to hunt state lands in other areas besides unit 23. They will be forced to hunt elsewhere battling with people coming displaced into their area.

Ted, on behalf of local villages. Supports closure due to importance of subsistence and lack of other economic opportunities.

Charles from Montana. Nonresident hunter. Spoke to lack of notice relative to deposits, reservations and plans made last year. Large economic benefit of expenditures. Bull hunting will not impact population level. Supports WACH cooperative planning process.

Jim local resident, not fair to cut out all hunters (I think, garbled).

Mary local community. Opposed people coming in to hunt trophy's taking someone else's food (given cuts in food stamps)

That's all - phone lines open until 6 for comment.

Sounds similar to yesterdays in Kotz. It was really hard at to hear at times. I believe Larry B. was there as he spoke second, unfortuanely I wasn't able to hear all his comments and the cut him off which they didn't seem to do to the person before him.
    Anyway thanks Larry for speaking up.

here's my two cents on video along with an overview and other testimony via teleconference. crappy connection and lots of interuptions in the 3 hours of discussion.