Thread: Wanting pics of Ecotec installation.

Default Wanting pics of Ecotec installation.

I am considering installing a 2.4L Ecotec with a turbo kit from Alpha Fab. Right now I have a 21' Extreme Shallow, and want to do some figuring on how it would sit compared to the sport jet as I am not wanting to sacrifice much interior space.

Has anyone heard/dealt with running a turbo on a river jet? Pros & cons?

Does anyone have an Ecotec in their boat that could send me some detail pics on the mount, or possibly let me come over and take a look?

I am in S. Anchorage.

Thanks in advance.

Typical Marine turbo engines use water jacketed headers and jacketed turbo, this is done fore safety as these parts will be glowing red under constant load. If you were going to use an unjacketed exhaust make sure is is out in open air and not covered by a doghouse, also make sure it is guarded from anything or anyone touching it.
    I would recommend a water jacketed manifold and turbine housing or at the very least Comercial style exhaust lagging (insulation) also go for an air to water intercooler. The exotic motor is impressive and you can get good power from them, especially in turbocharged form. I have driven a 2.0 lnf in an airboat and it was a nice performing package
    A friend has the supercharged version in his river wild jetboat.

I remember when JBM was using Ecotec's in his boats at one time, still using turbos

http://www.jetboatsofmontana.com/Wildcat

GM has a newly designed 4.3 V-6, aluminum block & heads, 294 HP 331 ft pounds

http://www.kemequipment.com/marine-e...3L-V6-2015.php

How about a supercharged rotary....?

http://www.atkinsrotarymarine.com/

I seem to recall Cbolt on here had a Ecotec in his boat
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

The supercharged Mazda rotary is a neat package, ran one in a Gator jet years ago.
    I think Jbm was using supercharged ecotecs but I could be wrong

I had a 2.2l supercharged motor in my old boat. Ill be honest, the 4 cylinder is a narrower package, but its still pretty long. I ended up repowering to a LS motor. Its much better suited for this application. IMO, RPM will be your limitation with any turbo or supercharged engine (unless diesel). It's really hard to find a pump suited to spinning the rpm unless its White (AT) or blue (Scott). The multi stage hamilton/Kodiak/Marine power pumps just start loosing efficiency over 4500 rpm.

I finally came to grips with this fact of life and just repowered. For the time, money, and effort, you'd be way ahead fitting a V8. My doghouse grew about 4 inches longer and 4" wider than it was with the ecotec.

All my opinion though, its fun to do different things. I think the sportjet is in a class of its own though, HP/Weight ratio just works, as well as the pump. Its just a great package. Unless you build a 500 HP ecotec, you might just end up disappointed.

As far as a rotary goes, I'm guessing RPM is an issue there too. JBM bought my ecotec and installed it into one of his customers boats. He tried the rotary in that boat (at the customers request), but it never performed satisfactorily as far as I know. He now has my old motor and is happy as far as I know.

Here is a pic of the ol' ecotec. I think its the only one I can find right now.
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power