Thread: bush wacking!

Exclamation bush wacking!

I was wondering what a good side arm is for when I go fishing? I do alot of bush wackin and probably should carry a pistol. I want something to get the job done, but is comfortable firing, efficient, and affordable. Any thoughts?

Smile

Thanks for stoppin' by.

Yes I have many thoughts. Mostly about where I've been and what I've done. I'm not proud of all I've done but I have accomplished somes things and done quite well at them. I managed to keep myself alive through it all, too.

I've seen the head waters of the Nile. I've had to go to countries and watch people starvin' 'cause thier own government won't let 'em shoot a tommy or a little ruui buck. Or even own a gun! I've seen the way people try to exist in hostile lands even before the TV cameras were there, showin' babies with swolled up bellies. Before the peace corps and UNICEF. An' before the hollywood go-gooders began to rant that somebody should do something, I was there. It wasn't a glamorous job, mostly it was dangerous and unfriendly, but I was there. But I couldn't have been doing anything good, I carried a gun, usually more than one and lottsa rounds of ammunition.

Oh, those days are gone now, gone with all the excitement and terror, but I'm still haunted by the dreams. Huh! So for excitement now I hunt lions. I hunt elephant and I hunt buffalo. Buffalo, ahh 'm! Those nasty buffalo. Don't get on the wrong side of them, kid. They ain't very forgivin' and they remember you. You roust an ol' bull from a sound sleep in November, he'll be the first to spot you strollin' through the Mopane in July. He'll be waitin', an' you bes' be ready.

You best get rid of that puny Mauser, too, and find a good rifle. Oh, mauser is fine if you wan'na shoot a Zulu or even up the score with one of them Boers, some times they need it, eh. Or if you just want to shoot some grub. But you need a huntin' rifle if you gonna hunt the nasty contankerous bunch. Now, Will Jeff'ry makes about the best two barreled rifle goin'. I say that knowin' full well he's English, but he sure makes a good rifle. Ya see, you got two sure shots, and they can come quick. No jackin' or rackin' the bolt, just aim and shoot and the next one is on when the gun comes down, give 'em a finisher. That's all they is to it.

Throw yer bed roll over there in the corner, get your nettin' spread out or they'll eat ya. We'll have us some grub in the mornin' and I'll show ya how to shoot this thing. Yessah, a mighty fine rifle, this here Jeff'ry.

Er...did I stray off the subject...again?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

This heat must be getting to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing KLUNKA View Post
    I was wondering what a good side arm is for when I go fishing? I do alot of bush wackin and probably should carry a pistol. I want something to get the job done, but is comfortable firing, efficient, and affordable. Any thoughts?
    Klunka,

There are tons of great posts here about different guns that will do the job but it seems that one main theme is make sure it's one you can shoot accurately. If you can't handle the 500 but can put six in a pie plate a 50yds in 6 seconds out of a 357 or 44 mag then.... well, you get the point.

Heck, I like Murphy's idea of the double barrel. Whack the barrels off at 16" and you got a bear gun for all that bush whacking. Even if he did stray.......Again lol
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Marlin 45/70 guide gun, with Buffalo Bore 430 grain hardcast bullets.

if you think you need a handgun only, then make sure your Will is up to date, laminated to be waterproof, and pinned somewhere on your clothing.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default I'd have to...

I'd put a 4" .44 Mag or .45 Colt S&W stainless Mountain Gun into a shoulder holster, and be real careful about what I was doing and where. Some folks might recommend taking the front sight off and rounding off the sharp edges. I hear it won't hurt so much that way when Mr. Griz puts the thing where the sun don't shine. Might be a rumor.....
    My oldest boy put down an interior griz on a spring hunt with a .454 Casull in a Taurus Raging Bull. Seems like a heckuva lot of iron to be packing around, but he's a bit bigger than me, and I have 20 years on him...
    Does anyone still make a Howda?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Murphy:
    Those are interesting thoughts, and quite vivid too, I would say.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Fishing KLUNKA:
    For whackin bushes, I reccommend a machete.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.