Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Guess what we found on the Gulkana?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gakona Ak
    Posts
    1,493

    Default Guess what we found on the Gulkana?

    Last week one of my clients came to tale to me after he finished up his float trip on the Might Gulkana. He claimed he saw one of those white sheep on a bluff above the river. I said "White Sheep...A Dall Sheep? Ya.. a ram.


    Well being that this guy was from Ohio I thought he was confused a bit until he showed me a photo.....Well guess what? It was a 3 year old Dall Sheep on a bluff above the Gulkana.I contacted one of our well known sheep hunters in Gakona and with in an hour 2 locals were in the air to see this "Dall Sheep".

    So for your entertainment and amazement....Walt's Dall Sheep.




    By the way.....I will be offering Guided Sheep Hunts on the Gulkana and for the low, low price of $15,000,,,no, $20,000 I will guide you....Ha...

    I will upload pics in the morning

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Last week one of my clients came to tale to me after he finished up his float trip on the Might Gulkana. He claimed he saw one of those white sheep on a bluff above the river. I said "White Sheep...A Dall Sheep? Ya.. a ram.


    Well being that this guy was from Ohio I thought he was confused a bit until he showed me a photo.....Well guess what? It was a 3 year old Dall Sheep on a bluff above the Gulkana.I contacted one of our well known sheep hunters in Gakona and with in an hour 2 locals were in the air to see this "Dall Sheep".

    So for your entertainment and amazement....Walt's Dall Sheep.




    By the way.....I will be offering Guided Sheep Hunts on the Gulkana and for the low, low price of $15,000,,,no, $20,000 I will guide you....Ha...

    I will upload pics in the morning
    What you been smoking Walt? No, I actually believe you. I've seen sheep in some strange low places before too. The Gulkana is a hard buy though. I wonder where it wandered from. Alaska Range North of the Denali Highway maybe?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Not too many years ago I saw a very much legal Dall ram perched on the bluff between Long Lake and the Matanuska River, within one mile of the highway. He was all alone and had either swam across the Matanuska from the Chugach or crossed the highway from the Talkeetnas. I've seen rams on Lion's Head quite a few times and once, I even saw a legal ram on that promontory. But I'd never seen one on the bluff next to Long Lake.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gakona Ak
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Ok...I need help from a Tec guy...I can not get any of the photos to up load to my list/bucket. What do I need to do here? When I click upload I get a continuous spin??Help!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Last week one of my clients came to tale to me after he finished up his float trip on the Might Gulkana. He claimed he saw one of those white sheep on a bluff above the river. I said "White Sheep...A Dall Sheep? Ya.. a ram.


    Well being that this guy was from Ohio I thought he was confused a bit until he showed me a photo.....Well guess what? It was a 3 year old Dall Sheep on a bluff above the Gulkana.I contacted one of our well known sheep hunters in Gakona and with in an hour 2 locals were in the air to see this "Dall Sheep".

    So for your entertainment and amazement....Walt's Dall Sheep.




    By the way.....I will be offering Guided Sheep Hunts on the Gulkana and for the low, low price of $15,000,,,no, $20,000 I will guide you....Ha...

    I will upload pics in the morning
    Just so you know. the law says you may not "offer" to guide hunters without being a alaskan registered big game guide. just saying, as you may or may not know Wildlife troopers do watch this site.

  6. #6
    Member highestview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Haines
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by isnarewolves View Post
    Just so you know. the law says you may not "offer" to guide hunters without being a alaskan registered big game guide. just saying, as you may or may not know Wildlife troopers do watch this site.
    Once again, we need the sarcasm font activated. The wildlife troopers would have their hands full looking into every tongue-in-cheek statement on this site.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gakona Ak
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Was my HAAA not loud enough? I hope I have not triggered any serious inquiries. By the way, what is the Bag Limit on 3 year old Rams in the Gulkana Drainage?

    HAAAAAAA!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Ok...I need help from a Tec guy...I can not get any of the photos to up load to my list/bucket. What do I need to do here? When I click upload I get a continuous spin??Help!
    Walt, I am not a tech guy myself, but I always use the website called imgur.com to upload photos. Try that one out. What are you doing differently than you did before. I know you have uploaded photos before.

    Quote Originally Posted by isnarewolves View Post
    Just so you know. the law says you may not "offer" to guide hunters without being a alaskan registered big game guide. just saying, as you may or may not know Wildlife troopers do watch this site.
    Dude, seriously? Can't you tell he was joking? If you have ever been on the Gulkana before you would know that he was joking. That is like me saying I am going to start guiding hunters for unicorns and yetis in my backyard.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Was my HAAA not loud enough? I hope I have not triggered any serious inquiries. By the way, what is the Bag Limit on 3 year old Rams in the Gulkana Drainage?

    HAAAAAAA!
    One ram full curl or larger. so if your 3 old ram was full curl or larger, just one

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,905

    Default

    A number of years ago we had a mountain goat hanging out on the Kenai Flats on Bridge Access Road.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gakona Ak
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Ok...Someone shoot me a email to my business account and I will attach the photos that way so you can see what we have.
    northwestalaska@yahoo.com

    I have 15 good pics from a super cub.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    A number of years ago we had a mountain goat hanging out on the Kenai Flats on Bridge Access Road.
    2yrs ago there was a young ram below the haul rd. bridge and before the mouth of hess creek on the north bank of the yukon river.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gakona Ak
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    One of you guys email me to my Yahoo account, I will attach some Gulkana Ram Pics and you can upload them on the forum. Come on!!!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gakona Ak
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Pics on the way! Thanks goodness for friends!

  15. #15

    Default

    The Mt. Goats here come off the high country and cross the Hope Road so they can lick the minerals and salt off the rocks along the South shore of Turnagain Arm. They mostly do this at night, and more often in the winter than summer. My guess is the vegetation of summer contain enough minerals.


    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    A number of years ago we had a mountain goat hanging out on the Kenai Flats on Bridge Access Road.

  16. #16
    Member bobmikk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Check image size, night just need to resize smaller and post again. And I 'm serious and not joking.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sitka
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Let's give this a try http://

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sitka
    Posts
    151

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sitka
    Posts
    151

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sitka
    Posts
    151

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •