So last fall I lost my 40# lead pyramid anchor on the Kasilof River.
Hung it up bad and lost it.
I had intentions of making a new one and this spring had a mold made at a local aluminum welding shop.
I was thinking this mold would be good for an anchor up to 50# but I think it may be 45# max.
Should have had my niece do the math I guess. That and every alloy blend is a bit different in density.
Anyway I was casting jigs today and figured I would make the new anchor.
I weighed out enough ingots and added them to the pot.
My current stock of lead is pure so I added some Superhard from Rotometals for the antimony and added touch of tin.
I didn't want it to soft.
I fluxed it good and skimmed a bit of dross.
Came out close to target at 39.7#.
I used a SS U bolt with the nuts and connector plate left on so it shouldn't pull out.
I had to cast it twice as the first one didn't turn out right.
These anchors run over $100 in the store locally so I figured with the cost of the mold I came out about the same and still have a working mold for future use.
The red on the end is some RTV I used in the corners hoping to prevent the lead from sticking. But some of it came off with the casting.
The second pic shows the anchor next to the mold.