Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 32K Kenai sockeye?

Default 32K Kenai sockeye?

On July 4.... SERIALLY?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Are you supper cereal

Have you seen the OTF? 85, 14, 79 & 29 starting on the 1st.

By the time I make it on the 19th, the Coho run might be in full swing the way the fish are all coming in early this year
    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    On July 4.... SERIALLY?

I'm not there until the 22nd , pump your brakes Sockeye

Don't worry folks....there will still be 30K days well into August. It's gonna be a bumper year for reds.

Not sure what everyone else's expectations are, but from my personal experience, the new counts "feel" a bit inflated.

The 30K days with the new counter only fish like the 20K days using the old counter.

YMMV.....
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

35.6K y'day!

OH MY.... we could be in for a MEGA run!
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by Kenner21 View Post
    I'm not there until the 22nd , pump your brakes Sockeye
    Oh great, another Texan, but now he's actually trying to tell the fish what to do...!!!........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Where up there on the 20th(full moon)- slow down!

Heh guilty, well more hoping than demanding just don't want a run like 3 years ago when they all came through in a huge slug or two around the 17th. 32k followed by a 35k fish day, woahhhhh there Sockeye

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Not sure what everyone else's expectations are, but from my personal experience, the new counts "feel" a bit inflated.

The 30K days with the new counter only fish like the 20K days using the old counter.

YMMV.....
    I don't think I'll ever be that confident in the counts. We need a couple more independent counters out there to even try and confirm a real good average, or else how in the hell can they ever know for sure? There's a reason some people carry around 3 compasses ya know.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Dipnet CPUE from the boats would be a nice indicator, but that would mean that the state would have to actually manage that fishery...

Three fisherman, 2 1/2 hours, nine reds . Lower river tonight. Not hot, but very fishable. I think the counter is pretty accurate.

I'm not sure about the counter either but there were a lot of fish. I started at the Russian and then headed down river on tues eve.

Ive been watching the Russian River one and it said over 1000 fish for last 5 days and it was dead. Everyone we talked to and saw on River left empty handed.. I've been there on other days this year with lower counts and fishing was decent. Not sure if it's because of where the counters located or if the fish are holding somewhere and then going through but something seemed off.

A longtime Salamatof Beach setnetter texted me last weekend and said he had been seeing more jumpers on his beach than ever before at this time of year. For me that confirmed the jump in Kenai sonar counts seen on the 4th and 5th. Also the OTF boat had a near record opening day the week before - most of it well offshore. I think we saw those fish hit the Kenai. Also heard second or third hand accounts that the boys over Kalgin way are doing well, and the Drifters whacked em on the 4th and I don't think they were all that far south. I am seeing more Kenai slabs in my nets. Whether or not we believe the counters and despite when we have airline tickets or vacation scheduled or how good fishing is in the river, Ms. Kenai is railing fish...

I suspect fish are entering deep and in the middle of the inlet again. Who really knows - I'm hoping for a good blow to shake things up...

For those with more river experience than me - do you find that the fish move upriver faster when the water is high?

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post

For those with more river experience than me - do you find that the fish move upriver faster when the water is high?

They just blow thru regardless of water level, resting just a bit at the well known frogwater spots... but not for long. It's pretty much a constant parade of fish pushing by at 2-3 knots.

Virtually every cast is a chance at a brand new fish. No second chances.
    The KeenEye MD

Nearly a 100K past 72 hours... and on track for another 25-30K today. WOW.... just WOW!
    The KeenEye MD

Does fish and game have authority to open dipping early? Scheduled for the 10th, but how bout an EO for the 9th?

Quote Originally Posted by akcarv View Post
    Three fisherman, 2 1/2 hours, nine reds . Lower river tonight. Not hot, but very fishable. I think the counter is pretty accurate.
    That is very good considering 2 of you likely caught your limits in less than 2.5 hours. Were they decent size fish? Any little dinks like last year?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast