Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sil Nylon Tarp Recommendation

Default Sil Nylon Tarp Recommendation

All,

Looking for a silnylon tarp for sheep season. Looking for cheap and light. Not that interested in Cuben Fiber due to cost. Only purpose for it is to carry as a day shelter to hold up in the wind and rain and to cover meat once the sheep is down. 6x 8 ft will work but 8x10 is what I seem to find.

Thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

Not super light but it does meet the cheap requirement

https://www.amazon.com/Equinox-14577.../dp/B008YW6APA

If you can live with 5x9, just order three yards of 1.1 oz silicone coated nylon from www.owfinc.com

Good guys, honest price on shipping. Be sure to ask about remnants, as they give 50% off wholesale for remnants.

I went with the Kifaru paratarp, though I haven't had the opportunity (need) to use it yet.

https://store.kifaru.net/paratarp-p83.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    All,

Looking for a silnylon tarp for sheep season. Looking for cheap and light. Not that interested in Cuben Fiber due to cost. Only purpose for it is to carry as a day shelter to hold up in the wind and rain and to cover meat once the sheep is down. 6x 8 ft will work but 8x10 is what I seem to find.

Thanks
    Check out what Jimmy Tarps has to offer, you can find his tarps on Facebook and Ebay. Very well made and cheap. Another semi cheap option is www.bearpawwildernessdesigns.com

Bear paw and borah gear are the only ones I've used and they work well and are fairly inexpensive. Seek outside makes a larger tarp that looks nice too.

Etowah Outfitters

Go to any construction site and ask for tyvek housewrap scraps. Just bring some earplugs for sleeping.

I have a Kelly Noah's tarp 12x12 I carry everywhere. Works awesome with treking poles. Set it up for lunch or meals or by camp to keep gear dry. Tons of tie outs, pretty stinking handy.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

looking at just building a sil nylon tarp as the cheapest option and for weight. Cuben Fiber is just so spendy. especially for a tarp. How does sil nylon hold up for sewing in either loops for tying off of or grommets? Do I just need to reinforce the silnylon with canvas? Appreciate the info.
    NRA life Member JVJ

I have used a hilleberg sil tarp for a few years. It works great for emergencies, and for just getting out of the weather for a quick break or when glassing. I have also used it to spike out. One thing I really like is it has cords attached all around with tensioners that make it easy to set up. I carry a few stakes with it and use a trekking pole to pitch it.

When I bought it, they came in two sizes, I got the smaller one, about 10x10

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    .....Tons of tie outs, pretty stinking handy.
    Sounds like it. Once a buddy and I had to siwash it on an open ridge after we killed two rams in two different locations.....ran out of daylight. We both ended up huddled under a military poncho I had and managed pretty well even with a constant drizzle all night. Your tarp would have been much better though I'm sure....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I built my own two years ago. I got the silnylon from Bearpaw Wilderness Designs (www.bearpawwd.com). I purchased grosgrain ribbon (webbing) and a yard or so of some black ripstop nylon from JoAnn Fabrics. It was a single piece of silnylon so all I had to do was hem the edges to prevent fraying. I folded the pieces of the grosgrain in half lengthwise and sewed it like that. The ripstop nylon was cut out into circles that I then folded in half for the sides and in fourths for the corners for the tie out points. The doubled over grosgrain ribbon was then sewn into these reinforced points as loops.
    It balls up to the size of a big apple and works great. Total cost was under $30.
    Hope this is what you were looking for.

I have used the Rab 2 siltarp for 4 years and don't have a bad thing to say about it, light, strong at just over a hundred bucks if you can find it on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Go to any construction site and ask for tyvek housewrap scraps. Just bring some earplugs for sleeping.
    If you cut the Tyvek to the size you want, soak it in the washer for a couple of hours, and then run it through one wash cycle with no detergent, it softens it up a ton and makes it a lot quieter! I use them as groundcloths under my tent and inside to protect the flooring, and also carry a 9'x9' sheet in my pack to put meat on if we get a moose or caribou.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    If you cut the Tyvek to the size you want, soak it in the washer for a couple of hours, and then run it through one wash cycle with no detergent, it softens it up a ton and makes it a lot quieter!
    So I take it that it still is plenty waterproof after the "softening"...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    So I take it that it still is plenty waterproof after the "softening"...???
    I haven't noticed any loss of waterproofing...but will also say that I've been lucky with weather on the last few remote hunts, not too many really rainy days...

Thanks all...

Ryan, that's what I am looking for.
    NRA life Member JVJ

I just picked up a 6x9 from Jimmys tarps for all the uses imaginable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not a facebook guy so wasn't able to check him out. Wound up with under 30$ of materials for a 5x9 tarp. Plus Its an intro to starting to build some more of my own gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast