Thread: Salmon Fishing with kids - Where to go?

Default Salmon Fishing with kids - Where to go?

Hi All - I'm bringing my wife and kids up Aug 2-Aug 16, and my kids are super excited to catch salmon. They are aged 11, 9, and 6. We'll be traveling in an RV down to the Kenai Peninsula and then up to Denali for a few days, then back to the Kenai Peninsula. I'd like to take them to kid friendly places to catch salmon in rivers.

They would love to catch any species that are good to eat - ie, sockeye, silvers, fresh pinks.

Any recommendations?

I think I've heard that the King fishing will be mostly closed by that time of year - any recommendations for catch and release areas where there's a good chance of hooking into one to then release?

Thanks in advance!

PINKS PINKS PINKS on the Kenai... with the occasional silver coming in to spoil the party.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I am doing very similar to what you are doing except I will be there 10 days before you. I will be there with my family on RV. And I would love to put my son and daughter on some fish.

Like the FishNPhysician said, pink should be in many places on the Kenai. Where to go you says? It is hard to get people to tell you exactly where to go. But I have some ideas since I have been there couple times. But this time I bought the Highway Angler - fishing Alaska's road system by Gunnar Pedersen. There are a lot of places that you can go for pink and red salmon along the Sterling HW.

If you like keep intough with me and I can give you my report on my trip.

Thanks for the tips! Texfish, I'll PM you to swap ideas for where to fish with the kiddos. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Texfish View Post
    I am doing very similar to what you are doing except I will be there 10 days before you. I will be there with my family on RV. And I would love to put my son and daughter on some fish.

Like the FishNPhysician said, pink should be in many places on the Kenai. Where to go you says? It is hard to get people to tell you exactly where to go. But I have some ideas since I have been there couple times. But this time I bought the Highway Angler - fishing Alaska's road system by Gunnar Pedersen. There are a lot of places that you can go for pink and red salmon along the Sterling HW.

If you like keep intough with me and I can give you my report on my trip.

During that timeframe, you can also stop along the Parks on your way up and back from Denali. Silvers, Pinks, and Chums. I really like Montana Creek. Easy access for the kids and it has a state park on one side and a privately owned campground on the other. Just follow the trails down to the mouth or fish by the bridge. Willow Creek has a campground as well but I just like Montana creek more. There's Bird creek and Hope as well. No secret about these places, just go and figure out the better spots to be. Hope that helps and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by AMMO JAY View Post
    During that timeframe, you can also stop along the Parks on your way up and back from Denali. Silvers, Pinks, and Chums. I really like Montana Creek. Easy access for the kids and it has a state park on one side and a privately owned campground on the other. Just follow the trails down to the mouth or fish by the bridge. Willow Creek has a campground as well but I just like Montana creek more. There's Bird creek and Hope as well. No secret about these places, just go and figure out the better spots to be. Hope that helps and have fun!
    A small correction to Montana Creek; all 4 corners by the bridge are privately owned. No state owned campground-- your state pass is invalid there. The one campground was built by the state with state dollars then leased or sold to private owners to run. Worth the fee; the fishing is always great, the catching can be too. That ttime of year is dynamite.