Thread: Range safety still again

Default Range safety still again

Had an interesting discussion with two shooters at BRSP today 04 July. They were EPM's. Brought two AK rifles from the car to the bench with magazines in Condition 1, round in chamber.

They wanted to converse with me about the merits of the rifles remaining in Condition 1, when I went down range. They also seemed to consider the handling stuff on the bench rule was for other folks, as well as the muzzle down range rule, the bolts back, magazine out, show clear rules.

One guy called me names, which badly hurt my feelings and severely affected my self esteem. I may have to seek solace, perhaps change my meds.

Utilizing my back ground as Chief Bosun's Mate, United States Navy, readily grabbing some of those tools in my tool kit, I somehow managed to make the range safe. Oh, I also ratted them off to the Range Safety, in front of them, when he made range checks. They remained strangely silent at that point. I left at that point to go home and get the ribs on the BBQ.

The range is self policing for the most part. I go out there a lot, and seem to see more handling violations of late. Please look out for each other. Those guys probably would not have hurt themselves, but their range conduct put many people at risk.

I know some do not like all these rules, I do.

Please look out for each other, and me. Feel free to remind me if I fail to comport with the rules as well. Stay safe and thanks.

BRSP rules follow.
    General Pistol & Rifle Rules

1. Eye and ear protection is mandatory on all ranges at all times. The range starts at the overhang.
    2. Treat all firearms as if they are loaded
    3. Keep the muzzle pointed down range at all times.
    4. Keep actions open and unloaded and finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    5. You must call the range hot (handling and shooting of firearms allowed) and cold (all guns unloaded and actions open) yourself, before people can go down range
    6. Actions must be open, bolt face visible, and magazines removed when people are down range.
    7. Ensure the firing line is clear/cold before going down range.
    8. DO NOT HANDLE/TOUCH GUNS, AMMO, OR ANYTHING ON THE BENCH WHEN PEOPLE ARE DOWN RANGE OR WHEN THE RANGE IS COLD. When the range is cold step back from the bench until the range is hot.
    9. Shoot only targets in or on provided target frames, or an equivalent frame. Targets must be an appropriate height so all rounds will impact the berm without ricocheting off the ground.
    10. Shooting rocks, bottles, cans, food, etc. is unsafe and strictly prohibited.
    11. All metal targets must be at the base of the berms or tall enough that if you miss the target the rounds will impact the berm.
    12. Ensure all rounds directly impact the backstop/berm without striking the ground first. If your rounds are not hitting the backstop/berm, adjust position of your target on the backer/frame.
    13. No centerfire rifles on F or G ranges. No pistols on A, B, or D ranges.
    14. When shooting shotguns: you may only shoot slugs at our target backers. Birdshot may be shot into the backstop/berm with permission of the Range Safety Officers ONLY! If you destroy the ranges’ target backers with birdshot, you will pay $10.00 and will be asked to leave the range.
    15. ABSOLUTELY NO TRACER OR INCENDIARY AMMO!

Well done and thank you. Pretty good "rules" for any target shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    Had an interesting discussion with two shooters at BRSP today 04 July. They were EPM's. Brought two AK rifles from the car to the bench with magazines in Condition 1, round in chamber.

They wanted to converse with me about the merits of the rifles remaining in Condition 1, when I went down range.
    Yes, thank you! I'd be interested to know what their fine "merits" were.....especially coming from the car as well...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Can't edit my first post: Just read a sad story: "Father Accidently Shoots and Kills 14-Year-Old son At Florida Gun Range". Short story; Guy gets hot brass down neck, looses focus, moves gun off target while trying to clear hot brass, gun goes off.

Bad things can happen very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Can't edit my first post: Just read a sad story: "Father Accidently Shoots and Kills 14-Year-Old son At Florida Gun Range". Short story; Guy gets hot brass down neck, looses focus, moves gun off target while trying to clear hot brass, gun goes off.

Bad things can happen very fast.
    So very sad...... I can't imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, thank you! I'd be interested to know what their fine "merits" were.....especially coming from the car as well...???
    Appeared to be tacti-cool fellows. Perhaps their ROE required them to go tactical upon entering the ranges. These are the guys that need a clearing can and play less video games. Glad they have guns, but they need more training. We can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    ...they need more training. We can provide.
    Yup. I'd give up my guns before sharing the range with folks like that. Since I'm not giving up my guns, the only choice is to educate.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

BRSP rules follow.

1. Eye and ear protection is mandatory on all ranges at all times. The range starts at the overhang.
    4. Keep actions open and unloaded and finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    5. You must call the range hot (handling and shooting of firearms allowed) and cold (all guns unloaded and actions open) yourself, before people can go down range
    6. Actions must be open, bolt face visible, and magazines removed when people are down range.
    8. DO NOT HANDLE/TOUCH GUNS, AMMO, OR ANYTHING ON THE BENCH WHEN PEOPLE ARE DOWN RANGE OR WHEN THE RANGE IS COLD. When the range is cold step back from the bench until the range is hot.
    9. Shoot only targets in or on provided target frames, or an equivalent frame. Targets must be an appropriate height so all rounds will impact the berm without ricocheting off the ground.
    10. Shooting rocks, bottles, cans, food, etc. is unsafe and strictly prohibited.
    11. All metal targets must be at the base of the berms or tall enough that if you miss the target the rounds will impact the berm.
    12. Ensure all rounds directly impact the backstop/berm without striking the ground first. If your rounds are not hitting the backstop/berm, adjust position of your target on the backer/frame.
    14. When shooting shotguns: you may only shoot slugs at our target backers. Birdshot may be shot into the backstop/berm with permission of the Range Safety Officers ONLY! If you destroy the ranges’ target backers with birdshot, you will pay $10.00 and will be asked to leave the range.
    [/QUOTE]

Last but not least,

NO SHOOTING!

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post

BRSP rules follow.

Last but not least,

NO SHOOTING!(From "bustedknee")

So, apparently you are OK with folks screwing around with loaded weapons while you are down range. You find basic range rules to be a nuisance. Good luck with that.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Last but not least,

NO SHOOTING!(From "bustedknee")

So, apparently you are OK with folks screwing around with loaded weapons while you are down range. You find basic range rules to be a nuisance. Good luck with that.
    I have my own private range and I showed up to shoot one day and there are two guys sitting at my bench drinking beer from bottles and they were shooting at their empties. I pulled up and asked them what the heck they were doing. A very candid drinking beer and shooting guns was the reply. I said alcohol and gun powder don't mix and your trespassing. The long haired one announced that he wouldn't know as he never put gunpowder in his alcohol followed with who gives a ****. I just turned around and headed back up the lane. When I got to the narrow bridge crossing the big Creek I parked my truck in the middle of it and shut it off and locked it up and walked on up the lane. I moved the truck when the Sheriff arrived. Since I was leasing the property I had the right to file trespassing charges and since the Sheriff saw them drive up to the bridge he filed OWI charges on the driver and when he asked them what they were doing they said shooting our guns. Since they were both schnokered he also filed wreckless discharging a firearm charges on them both. I dropped the trespassing charges. However the Sheriff called the land owner and when he got on the scene he sought trespassing charges of his own. There is now a gate at the location of the bridge.

I don't know what the answer is to idiots who possess guns but it is and will continue to hurt us all.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I don't know what the answer is to idiots who possess guns but it is and will continue to hurt us all.
    You said a mouthful there my friend......

It is a tough one. I tend to feel like I'm endangering my family just by driving into the local range when it's busy. Some of the local gravel pits work when there's no one else there but someone always has to trash the place.....don't they know that's going to ruin it for everyone??!! I always try to pick up what I can of other's trash. I noticed last time someone left a hot water heater. I guess a hot water heater is the new tin can for today's "marksman".
    Louis Knapp

Shooting at a range, or managing a range, you are constantly going to have to deal with folks who don't know better. It's astounding and disappointing that you have to deal with jerks who don't care.

Thank you for being pro-active in keeping our range safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Some of the local gravel pits work when there's no one else there but someone always has to trash the place.....don't they know that's going to ruin it for everyone??!!
    Incase you didn't know already......there have been, and will continue to be, idiots EVERYWHERE that don't care about anything, or anybody but themselves. All you have to do to understand this is drive down the highway....how many people do you see that think they own it...!!!.......lol