Thread: chums

Post chums

When do the chums hit south central sreams? Which streams support a good chum run? I would like to get out and nail a few on a fly rod. I usually don't target them, but I think it would be fun. Any suggestions?

I have seen them in willow creek in mid july, but they are pretty sparce at that time. I usually catch them amoungst the early silvers, but they are already in full spawning colors. I met a bunch of people who caught what they claimed were silvers in early july. I suspect they were bright chums but I did not see the fish.

As for location. most of the ones I have seen were in the susitna streams.
    I think it is unfortunate that these fish have such a bad reputation. I think a lot of it is that they are caught in late august and are rotting.

Lightbulb

yeh, I sometimes catch a few while silver fishing in willow or montana, but they have the dark maroon tigger stripes, and big k9 teeth. They are fun to catch, but I wonna find a spot where they are fresher and as thick as the silvers can be. I guess I'll do a little prospecting unless I hear something different.

I'd be interested in finding a spot like that too if your willing to share.

shoot just about any of the su mouths will have chums in them and you're righ they are a RIOT!!! Pound for pound they pull harder then all others.

a couple years ago we had a blast on little willow mostly by the mouth. The coho's were there and the chums were in mass, coho's were just showing up.

We also did really well at the 2nd mouth of willow.

Years back we'd travel to clear creek on the tal and really get into them. I've heard the mouth has changed but I cannot verify it.

In the interior, the salcha receives a substantial run of chums, upwards of 3k fish a day running through the counters!!!

Fuschia bunny flies is where it's at. or fuschia popsicles, or well, you get the idear.

I have been out at esther Island (sp) out of whitter just anchored up relaxing with a halibut rig on the bottom. As I would real it up I could see them Chums (not Pinks) Ripping the herring off my circle hooks. Never tried to fish for them but i have seem them do this many times. Im sure even with a fly rod they could be caught in the salt water and woould be a blast.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Fun Stuff

I've been targeting chums down here in Juneau with my fly rod. Fuschia was definately the color that worked. They are a fun fish. You want a bigger rod my 8 wt. is barely cutting it.

Bird Creek gets a good, ocean fresh Chum run as well, and despite their reputation as being only good for dog food, chromer chums are decent eating.

when does the run start? And when is the fishing typically over for the fresh chums?

Default chums are excellent

when they are caught ocean fresh and smoked; they are outstanding.

when about do they run up north? Do they run about the same time in bird creek??

Thanks,

Jon

Last year I caught three around the 18th of july in the Little Sue they still had see lise on them so I brout them home and smoked them they tasted great. Now I kick my salf for all the ones that I realest over the years. Along time ago a caught a hole herd of them in Portage creek around the second week of Augest. I caught one that might have been 18 lbs on a fly rod then the next one got in the swift water and took all my backing