Thread: Pepper Bugs?

Default Pepper Bugs?

Has anyone had any problems with their pepper plants having tiny little green bugs on them? The bugs seem to be killing the plant and all the new flowers. I only have one pepper growing right now. Any advice to help get ride of these pests???

20160704_124443.jpg20160704_124452.jpg

I don't have any first-hand experience with growing peppers, but I've been told that it's wise to keep a healthy population of ladybugs on hand to combat aphids and other such insects that absolutely love pepper plants.

If they are indeed aphids, my wife kills them with a soap/water solution, then rinses it off really good after awhile......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Get ladybugs, my mom gets a few thousand a year and turns them loose in her yard and greenhouse to keep the little aphids down and it works great

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I can't tell for sure from the photos but I would still bet my bottom dollar that it's aphids. I tried on multiple occasions to grow peppers in my greenhouse and was always 100% unsuccessful due to the aphids. I even went so far as to purchase a bunch of ladybugs and released them into the greenhouse but I did not notice any effect on the aphid infestation. There are several spray products that you can purchase available at Lowe's, and probably Home Depot, Walmart, etc., that will take care of the problem, but you will more than likely have to periodically spray them down otherwise they will just recolonize. Unfortunately for pepper lovers, aphids love them just as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aphids is my take too.

I have pepper plants in the GH & watch them close for aphids.
    They attack the peppers first then everything else.

Birch trees are covered this year with them.

Spray your plants with water before you dump ladybugs on them, they are thirsty and will fly faster if there is no water. You want to get them to reproduce too, their larvae are very aggressive, they look like little orange and black alligators, and are very hard on the aphids.
    The best solution is parasitic wasps, they lay their eggs in the aphid, it cocoons, and out hatches another wasp. These aphid hammers can stop an outbreak.
    I quit trying sprays, they won't stop them,and barely even slow them down, I think they breed faster in Pyrethrin, neem oil, etc, soaps work okay to slow them.

Thanks for the advice! I will have to try and spray them and see what happens. Good thing it's only one pepper plant I got

I haven't generally purchased ladybugs and wasps and such, but I notice that Suttons Greenhouse in Anchorage has a variety of beneficial insects that they sell. I suspect that many other local greenhouses do the same, although I've only seen them at Suttons.