Thread: Coyote Hunting

Default Coyote Hunting

My daughter keeps asking me to take her out for a coyote. I live in Wasilla and am looking for some productive areas.

I have seen more coyotes crossing the road by elemendorf than I have anywhere else in Alaska. Two.
    Ahh I take that back, I seen a couple around talkeetna-cantwell stretch.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I thought I saw one two years ago down by the Su in Trappers Creek while trying to get a bear. I wasn't sure if it was a coyote or a wolf. as it was about 300 yards away and disappeared pretty quickly. Saw a couple on the Hay Flats on my way into work during the winter.

I've seen them down on the Kenai in the Sterling area

Coyotes are everywhere along the road system, but they're pretty darn difficult to hunt. They're not the apex predator in Alaska, so they don't come charging into calls like they do elsewhere. I've taken a couple, but I've put in a lot of time and effort to make those two happen. By all means, take your daughter out - but expect a low odds game. The further from town you can get, the better, and calling earlier in the winter is better than later so that the coyotes aren't already educated. River corridors have worked for me, but most importantly do your calling where there is sign.

Good luck!

As Brian says......AK doesn't have the coyote density to make for good calling and wolf packs keep them on guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I've seen them down on the Kenai in the Sterling area
    I never used to see them around here years ago. But have seen more in the last few years than all the years I've been here. Even had two come running in once when I was calling moose....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I hear them in the Jim lake area, but they tend to be a 'little' on the shy side. It is better in the winter, if/when there is some snow on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I never used to see them around here years ago. But have seen more in the last few years than all the years I've been here. Even had two come running in once when I was calling moose....
    Yeah until recently I can't ever recall seeing them down there.

Coyotes are really pretty incredible animals. From urban New York City to the middle of the Alaska Range, they're one of the most successful invasive species ever. Fun to watch, too. I got to watch what I assume was a breeding pair chasing each other around a couple years ago while bear hunting, which was a super cool experience. And man, when one is running into a call...pretty difficult to remain calm behind the scope.

I'm still pretty new to it, but man I love predator hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Coyotes are really pretty incredible animals....
    I still wonder what the two were thinking that came running in to the bull moose calls I was making..... still just can't understand that.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

I'm still pretty new to it, but man I love predator hunting!

Same here. Definitely becoming one of my favorites.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There's more than needed up the Knik. Try between Wolf Point and Fall Creek.

Just heard one yipping this afternoon while I was hiking a ridge at 3,500'. I think he was a bit below the crags, but it was hard to tell exactly where the sound was coming from.

I've seen at least five or six in recent years in Eagle River, with a couple in my neighborhood. Once saw one standing right behind the neighborhood mail boxes, and plastered on the boxes were multiple missing cat/little dog notices. I couldn't help but to laugh at the irony. They're pretty efficient predators in and around houses!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I have seen more coyotes crossing the road by elemendorf than I have anywhere else in Alaska. Two.
    Ahh I take that back, I seen a couple around talkeetna-cantwell stretch.
    There's a heck of a lot of them up Arctic Valley and up Hiland road. When I worked back there, a few times a day the coyotes would yip and howl at each other and get every dog in the neighborhood back there howling. It was surreal and kinda creepy. Unfortunately, you cant hunt them up there, not even by bow/arrow. I've seen coyotes and fox out by Sutton and know of at least one person in recent times who's gotten one on the east side of the Glenn highway, down near the riverbank.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I have killed two in the last two years. One in delta (we saw 5 that day) and one up the Elliot highway. I've seen several in and around Fairbanks and a couple around black rapids. Good luck!

There's quite a few in the 6 mile river valley in kenai and in the hope area. Also portage area between 20 mile river and Placer is a good place to find one. I've seen wild coyotes in the brown bear exhibit at the wildlife park, they were cleaning up the leftovers from mr. Bears lunch. Saw them cross the highway and they ran up Portage creek.....

Release Lake Trout

A buddy shot a coyote up near the end of the Petersville Road a few years back. We were looking for moose or bear and this guy came trotting along about mid-day. He dropped it from about 200 yards with open sights. I was impressed. Anyhoo, you get far enough up the road and it opens up for pretty good glassing.