Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Research and a sat phone and anyone can take on Alaska.....right?

Default Research and a sat phone and anyone can take on Alaska.....right?

This is a good read....for everyone!

http://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventur...-river-rescue/

Maybe we should increase the guide requirement....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    This is a good read....for everyone!

http://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventur...-river-rescue/

Maybe we should increase the guide requirement....
    Wow where to begin on that one

John Krakauer will write a book about it..... Into the Wild Part 2.... Tourists will eat it up, he'll make a mint and someone will make a movie about this story of "survival against all odds....."

This young man is fortunate to be alive.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

He sure is lucky. Rough country where he was.

This is why I am always cautious when we get people posting on here wanting to do this kind of thing.
    One of these days one will get killed thinking they can emulate their favorite reality tv stars.
    I hope not but I think it is inevitable if we can't educate more of these wannabes.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

What?! The state sells unlivable swamp to just anyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    This is why I am always cautious when we get people posting on here wanting to do this kind of thing.
    Site admins should but the ADN link up as a sticky in the remote and moving forums.

It would be a good thread to stockpile the annual events of this nature.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Site admins should but the ADN link up as a sticky in the remote and moving forums.

It would be a good thread to stockpile the annual events of this nature.

I would hope the link stays good for many years but I don't know how such things work.
    It would be good so that we can show these people why we are apprehensive about giving advice on the inexperienced moving remote and "living off of the land".
    I know I am not fully capable of living that way and I have lived in Alaska for almost 20 years.
    Granted had I really wanted to I am sure I could have learned most of what I needed to know and not have picked a marsh to build on.
    There was one years ago who started a live off the land thread. I asked him why he thought he could do it.
    He sounded like he knew what he was doing in regards to having hunted for years and preserved his own game and fish had some experience with cabin building etc..
    That he had a good idea what he was getting into.
    Then weeks later his wife PM's me here saying she hasn't heard from him for awhile as he was in Alaska looking at remote properties and thought since I had conversed with him here that I might have heard from him.
    He didn't make the newspapers so I'm guessing it turned out OK.
    Anyway yes we need solid proof to show some of these people what can happen if they are not 100% ready. That we aren't just saying things because we don't want them moving up here.

Below is a quote from another thread, I believe this was by a non resident. First post I thought of when I read the story on adn.

"Also I might add that hunters today have a lot more advanced tools available for them to use that will help keep them safe. Things like GPS, Satellite and Sat Phones are just a few. Hunters today have all the resources and tools anyone could imagine to pull of any hunt imaginable. Get over it times have changed."
    Master guide 212

Funny. I worked that area the only thing that kept me going was the head on my shoulders . The rest was extra weight in the pack.

As in most things, there will be differing perspectives as people around the country read the adn story on the internet.

I'm sure some will admire this young guy's sense of adventure and passion to achieve his stated goal of becoming a man, and marvel at his heroic strength to persevere and survive in the wilderness of Alaska (for a total of two whole weeks!)....kind of sounds like an advertisement to the book/movie sequel mentioned by Stid.

I just shook my head while reading the article, but cannot truly describe my reaction without violating forum rules...

These type of stories happen all the time but we usually don't hear about the outcomes. I wrote a story for Alaska magazine many years ago about a guy who tried the whole "Into the Wild" thing a few years before my wife and I tried it too. He didn't make it.

It is true that advanced tools can better help pull off a hunt, but as far as going out to the bush and surviving, for a week or a winter, all a sat-phone is is an emergency call device. Might not want to get a globalstar phone though <grin>. Good on Trooper Gibbens for getting out there and finding the guy and saving his butt. Often times luck is the only thing that can mean the difference between life and death.

We had a guy lost bear McGrath when I lived there. They found him naked floating on a raft of logs, basicly insane from bugs!

Electronics help, but can create a false sense of security as well.
    Master guide 212

There used to be a great guy tending bar there in McGrath. Used to tell jokes all day long. I imagine he has long since passed now.

I'd rather have bug dope then any electronics there

Glad the kid's ok, but had he just listened to the locals to come check it out first the whole ordeal would have been avoided. Or just take a quick look at what he was buying, to say the very least....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Sorry Stid and Snyd (again)...new personal rule for self, no more posting before finishing my first cup of coffee in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Glad the kid's ok, but had he just listened to the locals to come check it out first the whole ordeal would have been avoided. Or just take a quick look at what he was buying, to say the very least....
    That seems to be the common answer to threads about living off the land here in AK.
    Come up check it out as a vacation of sorts.
    Look at land,price groceries and bush airfare,Talk firsthand to those who have/are doing it.
    But so many of them seem to think we are trying to keep people out of Alaska and that is our reasoning for questioning their ideas.

The disconnect between "reality" and "reality TV" really is annoying at best and deadly at worst. Whenever I travel Outside with my family, the majority of people ask about this or that reality TV show. I can't say I watch any of them, but I've seen an episode here and there of several, and it's enough to convince me that it is all super-hyped fabricated BS. I always tell people they should watch them with the volume off, because the only truth in the entire show is the video images of the state. I don't know which was worse: 10 years ago when nobody really knew anything about Alaska or now when people have this false sense of the state from the crap they've seen on TV.

It's really sad if it leads to a situation like this one, but then again, people have been heading out into the Wild unprepared long before the first reality show hit the airwaves.
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    That seems to be the common answer to threads about living off the land here in AK.
    Come up check it out as a vacation of sorts.
    Look at land,price groceries and bush airfare,Talk firsthand to those who have/are doing it.
    But so many of them seem to think we are trying to keep people out of Alaska and that is our reasoning for questioning their ideas.
    Yep....all he would have had to do was charter the plane to the spot, get out and walk the 5 acres, get back in the plane and leave. End of story for that particular spot. No, you can't fault someone for their romantic dreams. But there is a "right" way to go about it. Especially with all the stories and info that is out there today. Well, he said it himself..."he wasn't prepared". Hind site is 20/20 I guess.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    The disconnect between "reality" and "reality TV" really is annoying at best and deadly at worst. Whenever I travel Outside with my family, the majority of people ask about this or that reality TV show. I can't say I watch any of them, but I've seen an episode here and there of several, and it's enough to convince me that it is all super-hyped fabricated BS....
    That's Hollywood for ya...!!! The only one really worth watching is "Life Below Zero". At least on that show pretty much everybody is telling people how easily things can go wrong and become deadly in a real big hurry.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast