Thread: Where to run recommendations, still learning

Default Where to run recommendations, still learning

So this year the wife let me upgrade our boat, so out with the old and in with the new. We have cabins on Big Lake and Lake Louise as well as fish the Deshka. With our old boat (19' Almar JetStream, 4.3L 165hp, Hamilton 751) I had no worries where I ran it mainly due to it being rather light and having ran the boat a bunch. New boat is a much larger and heavier boat (22' Thunder Jet Alexis Classic, 5.7L 330hp, Hamilton 212) so I am wary of getting it stuck on a sand bar or damaging the boat (fourth time out on the river and I was shoving it off a sand bar where I knew I shouldn't have been).

I know I am gonna miss my old boat because I already do but we also wanted to do different things and this boat seems to be the best option for us. We plan on a little salt use but also are excited to hit more rivers with this boat. My question is what are some good river for this type of larger boat? We like fishing the Deshka and I'm sure we will get down to the Yentna and Alexander creek once I get a better feel for the boat. But we also are interested in doing day trips and over night trips just for the fun of being on the boat. Is the Talkeetna a good trip, is Knik possible, Delta?

Any input would be appreciated and I hope to get a few river buddies with similar boats to go on trips with, sold my friend my old boat and we have been having a blast on the water.
    2003 22' Thunder Jet Alexis Classic
    ~MPI 5.7L 320hp w/ Hamilton 212
    ~Suzuki 9.9hp kicker

I like to run the Deshka and was able to meet up with a few guys and run up to the weir and back. There were a few unlucky boats that damaged there hulls hitting rocks last night. I would also like to run the Knik and talkeetna. It's always fun and easier if you can follow another boat up River to learn. I carry a capstan winch and a pull pall anchor just in case I stick my boat in the sand/gravel bars. I put it to good use over the weekend helping some boats out the were stuck. I'm game for day trips when I'm not working.

For sure the Deshka can be tricky, I used to run up miles pass the weir in my old boat but the new one I'm not taking the chance. Farthest I'll run is where it splits to three channels, went past there once and had a lot of gravel to hull noise in some spots. I definitely carry lots of rope, a couple of snatch blocks and a shovel at all times. I never get the chance to run with other boats so it limits what I'm willing to do. More boats = more people and more power to help get unstuck, worse case scenario they can go get help or get you off the river. At 3,400lbs dry weight there is a lot of weight to be moved in a bad situation.
    2003 22' Thunder Jet Alexis Classic
    ~MPI 5.7L 320hp w/ Hamilton 212
    ~Suzuki 9.9hp kicker

That TJ of yours is a heavy boat for sure. Probably closet to 5K with fuel and gear. All the rivers you mentioned are totally doable in your boat. Just a matter of running in the main channel being conservative in areas you aren't familiar with until you check them out. I agree running after someone in a similar boat is the best way or just taking a co-pilot with you that has local experience in a larger inboard is great as well. All of the things you learned in your older boat still apply and honestly, your TJ will run just as shallow as the smaller boat, the consequences are just greater when you make mistakes. I'm still learning as well and have run most of the rivers you mentioned in your post. I have a good depth finder and that helps some since it gives me piece of mind that I'm in the right spot especially when going slow to check new areas out.