Thread: Who is managing the Kasilof beach?

Default Who is managing the Kasilof beach?

Things are getting pretty silly down at the Kasilof mouth. I wasn't there long, but saw no enforcement. I find it pretty crazy that I have to pay and check in with the campground host to camp at Johnson Lake just a few miles away, but there are hundreds if not thousands of people parked and camped on the dunes at the Kasilof mouth free of charge. We've got a bunch of money slated for improvements, but none for management/enforcement for the busiest month of the year? Shame on us.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Things are getting pretty silly down at the Kasilof mouth. I wasn't there long, but saw no enforcement. I find it pretty crazy that I have to pay and check in with the campground host to camp at Johnson Lake just a few miles away, but there are hundreds if not thousands of people parked and camped on the dunes at the Kasilof mouth free of charge. We've got a bunch of money slated for improvements, but none for management/enforcement for the busiest month of the year? Shame on us.

Although I do believe uniformed LEOs do show up periodically, there are also some plain clothed making their rounds as well.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Hopefully the new parking lot and some regulations will help stop the damage. It is a mess and one more example of a fishery being created without good planning and infrastructure. We should be ashamed.

I'm sooo glad I'm not on the KP this month....

Default Who is managing the Kasilof beach?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Although I do believe uniformed LEOs do show up periodically, there are also some plain clothed making their rounds as well.....
    That's good to hear. I guess I just assumed that there were laws against just camping anywhere. I mean, there's people with trailers and motor homes camped right on the road. I guess that's better than the dunes, but I think due to the number of people using this access it should be a day use area.

The trash problem is spreading BTW. People camping on southern beaches are being pretty irresponsible with their waste. They don't take too well to suggestions otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    That's good to hear. I guess I just assumed that there were laws against just camping anywhere. I mean, there's people with trailers and motor homes camped right on the road. I guess that's better than the dunes, but I think due to the number of people using this access it should be a day use area.

The trash problem is spreading BTW. People camping on southern beaches are being pretty irresponsible with their waste. They don't take too well to suggestions otherwise.
    So this mess is really the result of lots of inaction by agencies and laws restricting action. The Division of Mines and Waters actually manages this piece of property and they do not have regulatory authority like Division of Parks. So any regulations have to go to the legislature. They have not taken any to the Legislature but they have finally decided on the parking lot and how to restrict access to the beach and parking along the road. DOT will put signs up keeping parking off the road after the parking lot goes in. Next, is the issue of off road access. Right now there are no regulation on use patterns and hopefully before the next Legislative season a packet of regulations will be made and presented. One suggestion I have is to take this land from Mine and Waters and put it in Parks control. They can charge day use fees to help pay for this activity. So we are working on it but it takes time and we had to get pass the parking lot issues first.

Quote Originally Posted by Seinerman View Post
    I'm sooo glad I'm not on the KP this month....
    Yeah, it's already gotten pretty bad and the fish aren't even in the Kenai yet. Thurs, or Friday when I was coming home from work a lady riding a bicycle was hit by a truck and killed out in the Sterling area somewhere. Traffic was backed up all the way to the Fred Meyers stoplight.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    So this mess is really the result of lots of inaction by agencies and laws restricting action. The Division of Mines and Waters actually manages this piece of property and they do not have regulatory authority like Division of Parks. So any regulations have to go to the legislature. They have not taken any to the Legislature but they have finally decided on the parking lot and how to restrict access to the beach and parking along the road. DOT will put signs up keeping parking off the road after the parking lot goes in. Next, is the issue of off road access. Right now there are no regulation on use patterns and hopefully before the next Legislative season a packet of regulations will be made and presented. One suggestion I have is to take this land from Mine and Waters and put it in Parks control. They can charge day use fees to help pay for this activity. So we are working on it but it takes time and we had to get pass the parking lot issues first.
    Thanks Nerka, that explains a lot. In the meantime, people could help out by keeping their black smoke billowing dually diesels and hybrid Priuses alike off the dunes and on the gravel. Seriously.

I thought there was a guard rail put up in the past year or go that basically blocked all vehicle traffic from the dunes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk-- Ain't technology great!

That was on the south side

Thanks--Guess I was just assuming it was south side issue!