Thread: Copper river bison rifle rules?

Default Copper river bison rifle rules?

My wife drew DI454 this season. I was lucky enough to draw it a few years back and was able to get on a bull so I have some experience there. I was looking at rifles for my wife and was wondering if the same rules for size and foot lbs of energy that are required as is on the delta tag. I have looked on F and G web site and don't see any restrictions. I will call on Tuesday to find out but was just curious if anyone knew the answer? Thanks Tekla

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    My wife drew DI454 this season. I was lucky enough to draw it a few years back and was able to get on a bull so I have some experience there. I was looking at rifles for my wife and was wondering if the same rules for size and foot lbs of energy that are required as is on the delta tag. I have looked on F and G web site and don't see any restrictions. I will call on Tuesday to find out but was just curious if anyone knew the answer? Thanks Tekla

I believe the only rule was it had to push a 200 grain bullet at 2500 fps. Which is crazy cause is the trooper going to carry a chronograph with them and make you shoot it through it to ensure you are legit. I am not sure if they went away from that or not.

Here is all I can find on it:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...nslegalhunting

"Rifle/handgun: must fire a 200-grain or larger bullet, which retains at least 2000 foot-pounds of energy at 100 yards. A .30-06 with a 220-grain bullet is about the minimal weapon that meets this specification."

Its under the delta bison hunter info page so maybe that rule applies if you are hunting bison in delta? Anyways a .308 can shoot a 200 grain bullet pretty easily at 2500 fps and still have over 2400 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards so its not that hard to meet.