Thread: Good place for kids fishing

Default Good place for kids fishing

Hey all,
    Grabbing camper from the 7th to 10 here next week and I'm a little torn. I've been thinking about tangle lake but also valdez or hope for pinks. Just want the boys to have a great time. Are pinks running or is the timing bad? I appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Jay

Default Fish ????

go to salt water the kids just want to catch fish the pinks are running SID

You're likely too early for pinks in Hope, and others have reported seeing no pinks in the Sound yet, either. We love taking our boys up on the Denali for grayling, and that's almost a sure bet for plenty of action.

I don't remember the exact time line for it has been a few years, but if the Pinks are in at Valdez then it is a slam dunk. There were times where we were trying to see how many casts we could go without a pink biting. The average was 4.

That time frame I would go to Valdez!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

I recall a trip to Valdez at the end of May, beginning June one year. We camped out in some gravel pits, caught grayling in some pothole lakes, and had a blast fishing off the ferry dock in Valdez. Threw salmon eggs with a one ounce sinker as far out as we could, and caught cod and sole as quick as we could. One guy would climb down the ladder to the lower catwalk with a net and land the fish. If I were doing it now, I would build a pier net; basically landing net loop with a rope tied to it in such a way to center the net, and lower that down from the pier to guide fish into. Regardless of whether pinks are in or not, you should be able to get into fish one way or the other.

I always like taking the kids backpacking to a lake with rainbows or grayling. There are several good lakes on the Kenai for this. Makes for some memorable outings for sure.

Thanks for the advice everyone. In Valdez for pinks, are you referring to Allison Point? I've never been there but I remember reading it on here. Sounds like a plan I think. Even if if doesn't pan out, we will just pack up and head a few hours north to Tangle. Hell, may do it any how. 2 days in Valdez, 2 on the Denali HW. Like you said Brian, love the Denali.

Yes! Turn left on Dayville road and drive to the camping spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Thank you!

Any tips for spinners for both Pinks and Grayling? I have flies for me and the misses but the boys will be using spinning rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You're likely too early for pinks in Hope, and others have reported seeing no pinks in the Sound yet, either.
    So, there won't be any pinks in Hope this coming up weekend? I was hoping they would be in there because I didn't want to deal with the crowds the following weekend because of Wagon Run...

Quote Originally Posted by AMMO JAY View Post
    Any tips for spinners for both Pinks and Grayling? I have flies for me and the misses but the boys will be using spinning rods.
    Vibrax......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by biglou001 View Post
    So, there won't be any pinks in Hope this coming up weekend? I was hoping they would be in there because I didn't want to deal with the crowds the following weekend because of Wagon Run...
    It's possible, of course, but it's certainly on the early side. Pinks are usually a last 10 days of July into August fish, especially in the rivers. I might be wrong, though!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Vibrax......
    I assuming size 0 for the grayling and size 3 for pinks. Any go to color patterns? I think I'm just gonna get a nice bit of them all and see which one works Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It's possible, of course, but it's certainly on the early side. Pinks are usually a last 10 days of July into August fish, especially in the rivers. I might be wrong, though!
    There's a post in the saltwater forum. Said this weekend should be OK but if not, that's fine. At least I know the grayling will be there at Tangle.

Pinks are in. It was super clear and hot. Nothing was biting but there was fish. Hopefully better fishing tomorrow being partly cloudy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Anybody tried fishing Ressurection Creek in Hope yet this month? Going to try it this weekend with my family, hoping to help my 4 year old catch her first salmon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk