Thread: Snagging Set-Up

Default Snagging Set-Up

I am new at this snagging, will be down Ninilchik for halibut and want to do some evening fishing around Homer, Kenia, and Seward for a weeks. I am trying to put together snagging rigs, but not sure what works best. I am thinking three options:

Weighted treble hook tied directly to line,
    Other setup is lead weight with 30" line leader to single 3/0 hook, or would a treble be better????
    Third option is pixee's tied to line? is this legal?? these reg's suck the big one...

Please advise with your opinions on what you think are the best set-up's, I am getting old and just what to pull in a few salmon on the rod and real, just what to be legal in the Kenai-Homer area..

Please advise.. thanks... john_alaska@yahoo.com

Where do you plan on going snagging?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Snagging is illegal around here and if we catch ya we will beat you with devils club

Apparently, it's legal at some times in the salt South of Anchor Pt. Light, tho I can't imagine why.
    Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 8.53.58 PM.jpg
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

It opened in the fishing lagoon in Homer today, according to a friend of mine.

Go with a proper snagging hook. A weighted treble is all you need and is deadly effective when used properly. Be sure that you review the regulations for the area you're in before doing so.

I plan to be in Homer mid-late July. Will try the lagoon if it is open there at that time. Seward for a day, and will also be around Kenai, if the reds are running will dip net. I have some non-resident friends with me so since they cannot dip net, they can run the snagging poles.. I'll have to read up on it, but I think non-residents can legally snag in designated snagging areas...

Thank you, I have a few weighted treble hooks, I saw them using them a few years ago in the lagoon...will be in Homer next week and will check it out... for other areas open to snagging in the rivers or ocean side, I was told to make a setup with a lead weight followed with 24-30" leader and 3/0 hook works well also...

There aren't any areas that I'm aware of where snagging is legal in rivers, nor is it legal at the mouth of the Kenai River where you might be dipnetting. Also, I'm fairly certain that the lagoon in Homer won't be open to snagging in mid-late July. Generally speaking they only allow snagging near the end of the king run and then again near the end of the silver run to allow people to clean out the last fish. Though snagging can be effective, due to regulations you'll likely be better off setting up your friends with the proper spinners for casting in Homer and flies for the Kenai.

Quote Originally Posted by jrprusak View Post
    I plan to be in Homer mid-late July. Will try the lagoon if it is open there at that time. Seward for a day, and will also be around Kenai, if the reds are running will dip net. I have some non-resident friends with me so since they cannot dip net, they can run the snagging poles.. I'll have to read up on it, but I think non-residents can legally snag in designated snagging areas...
    For a fact, you can not snag on the Kenai. Not only is it unethical, it is against the law. Fish and Game and the locals here watch for that.

Quote Originally Posted by gunrman View Post
    .....Fish and Game and the locals here watch for that.
    Not that it does any good. Some people are open to instruction, but most not.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!