Thread: 9 days in the Kuskokwim

Default 9 days in the Kuskokwim

MCGRATH, Alaska An Alaska State Trooper in a floatplane rescued a 29-year-old New York City man who set out to build a cabin and live in the wilderness.

Vladimir Yakushin was picked up Wednesday on the north fork of the Kuskokwim River about 120 river miles northeast of McGrath.

Troopers described him as low on food and distraught.

Yakushin had been dropped off nine days earlier at a lake.

He told troopers he concluded he was not equipped to build a cabin or remain in the area.

A friend he expected to meet did not appear and a satellite phone he rented didn't work.

Yakushin hiked to a river and attempted to float out on a small raft. A state wildlife biologist and pilot spotted him frantically waving his paddles and alerted troopers.

When dreams collide with reality...

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    When dreams collide with reality...
    When reality steamrolls your dreams right over. At least he had the presence of mind to pull the pin on the whole idea. Remember the guy who flew in to the lake in the Eastern Brooks range and forgot to schedule a pick up in the fall? Bad deal.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Who started this idea....do we know. I don't think it was Chris M..

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Ballsy dude. I am glad it all worked out for him and would love to drink a beer or vodka with him and hear the story from his lips.

Yes there is more in this thread and a link to the ADN article.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...n-Alaska-right
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Remember the guy who flew in to the lake in the Eastern Brooks range and forgot to schedule a pick up in the fall? Bad deal.
    I read a photo essay in Look magazine back in 1978 or 1979 that covered that guy. Seeing the photo of him frozen on the cot was freaky. They published some of his journal entries. He cut lots of green birch, which then froze and destroyed his hand saw. Wouldn't burn either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Who started this idea....do we know. I don't think it was Chris M..

one day closer to alaska.
    More like Dick Proenneke!
    The difference is Dick knew what he was doing and was fully capable.
    Most others such as this guy certainly are not.
    But I think Dick's book's and videos spurred the earlier ones such as Mcandless to try this and they then spurred others.
    Now they see the reality shows and that also gives them ideas that it can be done and isn't that hard.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

"Remember the guy who flew in to the lake in the Eastern Brooks range and forgot to schedule a pick up in the fall? Bad deal."

You got me thinking here, and I wanted to jog my memory from so long ago about this story. I found a couple links about this guy, whose death was ruled a suicide, and how he mistakenly waved off a Trooper's plane. The Russian kid's story, while fortuitous, pales in comparison:

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/12/19/us...ng-record.html

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_McCunn

Wow...somehow I've missed this story in the past. Unreal...

Me too Brian.....

".....An Alaska State Trooper flew over the lake in late August and observed McCunn's campsite. The pilot did not sense McCunn was in distress, since he waved a red bag very casually and, on his third pass of the campsite, he saw McCunn casually walking back to his tent....."

"Waved a red bag".....Casually or not, anytime a policeman waves something red it means to stop right? I remember driving the AlCan in the middle of the night when I was approaching a small town. Tired and not paying enough attention I saw someone slowly waving a red flashlight lens ahead. I slowed but didn't stop as I got to the guy then stopped as I just passed him seeing that it was a cop. I rolled down the window and he proceeded to give me what for for not stopping sooner.

I would think that just the fact that McCunn took the time to wave something "red" would be enough to cause enough concern to land and make sure there was no problem. I mean, I'm sure there are lots of people that don't know the proper signal when trying to wave down a plane for help. I'm not blaming the trooper, and McCunn could have done more.......like lit 3 smoky signal fires when he first heard the plane, but, to me, his death sure didn't need to happen. But, as they say, when it's your time......it's your time. Sad.....

Also makes me think of the story (by Jack London?)...."To Build a Fire". It's seems like when the universe is aligned to create your demise, sometimes nothing short of a miracle will stop it from doing so.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

He probably fared better on the Kuskokwim than I would in New York City.
    Louis Knapp