Thread: PWS pinks and chum

Default PWS pinks and chum

Is there a good place to go load up on pinks and chum in the sound this weekend? I'm still learning the sound so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chums were thick at the hatchery on Esther Island last week. Some were getting a bit too dark, but there were still plenty of good ones...we kept six for the smoker and caught those easily. I've had difficulty catching them in the past (getting them to bite, that is) but had good luck last week using a marabou jig (tipped with shrimp) suspended under a float. They're in there thick enough to snag 'em near the hatchery, but make sure you keep your distance from their barrier seine (does anyone know what the legal distance is? FishGod?)

I haven't seen any pinks yet; those are probably still a week or two away?
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    The chums were thick at the hatchery on Esther Island last week. Some were getting a bit too dark, but there were still plenty of good ones...we kept six for the smoker and caught those easily. I've had difficulty catching them in the past (getting them to bite, that is) but had good luck last week using a marabou jig (tipped with shrimp) suspended under a float. They're in there thick enough to snag 'em near the hatchery, but make sure you keep your distance from their barrier seine (does anyone know what the legal distance is? FishGod?)

I haven't seen any pinks yet; those are probably still a week or two away?
    I checked briefly and under 5 AAC 55.023 (3)

the waters of Lake Bay of Esther Island inside ADF&G regulatory markers located approximately 100 feet seaward of the Esther Hatchery broodstock holding pen are closed to sport fishing. If I get time, I'll keep digging.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

[QUOTE=MRFISH;1546570]ir barrier seine (does anyone know what the legal distance is? FishGod?)

100 ft seaward of the barrier seine according to the regs.

I picked up a few chums last weekend down in Main Bay. Didn't see pinks anywhere from Whittier to Seward.

All I got were chums in main bay too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk