Thread: Remington 783 a year later.

Default Remington 783 a year later.

I shot my 783 some today with some itty bitty 40 grain VMax bullets. It put 5 rounds into 3/4 of an inch. Running 3600 fps they are accomplishing pretty much the same as the bigger bullets in a .204.

However I am about to ditch the rifle. It seems the only way that you can get another magazine for a 223 is with another rifle. I have been on the quest for another magazine ever since I got the gun. I just sent my 3rd email in a year to Remington Customer Service Center. The first email they said they didn't offer them yet but would soon. They didn't answer the 2nd email. There website still doesn't offer them 2 years after they put them on the market. I googled Remington 783/ 223 magazine and while 50 vendors had mags for 308 short actions, 30-06 length medium actions and for Magnum actions. No one has them for the 223. I have a 783 in 243 and it has a completely different mag than the 223.

I am at wits end with Remington on this deal!!!!😠😞😭

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Ugh.... Reminds me of a muzzleloader company I used to deal with. Ditchem is right, but be very sure to tell them you did, and why. Only way rotten service changes. Just ask me about Amazon some time.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I shot my 783 some today with some itty bitty 40 grain VMax bullets. It put 5 rounds into 3/4 of an inch. Running 3600 fps they are accomplishing pretty much the same as the bigger bullets in a .204.

However I am about to ditch the rifle. It seems the only way that you can get another magazine for a 223 is with another rifle. I have been on the quest for another magazine ever since I got the gun. I just sent my 3rd email in a year to Remington Customer Service Center. The first email they said they didn't offer them yet but would soon. They didn't answer the 2nd email. There website still doesn't offer them 2 years after they put them on the market. I googled Remington 783/ 223 magazine and while 50 vendors had mags for 308 short actions, 30-06 length medium actions and for Magnum actions. No one has them for the 223. I have a 783 in 243 and it has a completely different mag than the 223.

Sorry to hear that. I personally ditched one in 30-06. Stay away from anything they have newer then 2007.

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I personally ditched one in 30-06. Stay away from anything they have newer then 2007.

Remington sent me an email saying that I can order one directly from them by calling a 1-800 number. I called that number three times so far and have figured out that I am not patient enough to wait for the one rep to get to me. I tried again to buy one directly from Remy's on line catalog. I found the magazine page. It said for a full listing of magazines" click here" so I did and got sent to the ammunition section of the catalog.......4 straight times.

I guess I'll call them when I have nothing planned for a half a day and see if someone will actually pick up.

I love the rifle. It shoots as well as anything that I have ever owned. It's built better than my Ruger American. Just want a spare mag or two and all will be well.

I'm glad you have a good one. The one I had, even with a good nikon on it, never dialed in. I know a guy who bought a marlin after the take over and it was just as bad. I stopped buy American made, new, firearms in 2006. I hate to say it, but I see a lot of junk. I will buy classic stuff now if I need one. The 4 I bought last year were all eastern European made. They seem to be as good as or better then US made in the 1980's. Personally I have never had good customer service after ceribrus bought them.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I'm glad you have a good one. The one I had, even with a good nikon on it, never dialed in. I know a guy who bought a marlin after the take over and it was just as bad. I stopped buy American made, new, firearms in 2006. I hate to say it, but I see a lot of junk. I will buy classic stuff now if I need one. The 4 I bought last year were all eastern European made. They seem to be as good as or better then US made in the 1980's. Personally I have never had good customer service after ceribrus bought them.

Couldn't agree more, with the possible exception of Ruger M77, they seem to be a pretty tough rifle. Everything else is junk. My son was almost mauled by a grizzly his hunter had shot in the shoulder with an arrow last fall. He was using a new Marlin guide gun and when the bear came for them he dropped it with his first shot, but the bear got back up and kept coming. A screw snapped when he cycled the action and the gun jammed hard. Luckily my son in law was there and stopped the bear before anyone got hurt.

I was guiding a popular TV show host last year that is sponsored by Cooper. They had given him a 280 for the hunt. It jammed every single time it was cycled! He took a real nice moose, a good caribou, and a big interior grizzly during that hunt, but the rifle used like a single shot, and unfortunately viewers will never know, and likely think he loves Cooper rifles.

Then gain last fall I had a guy with Remington 700 snap an extractor on the first shot at a bull moose....just pure junk.

European rifles are becoming very popular here and some like Tikka have an almost cult following. I think one of the best deals out there right now is the Zastava M70s, they are a little rough but the M98 action is hard to beat and the ones I have seen are very accurate.
    one day closer to alaska

My son wanted a bolt action rifle, but had only $250. His choices, even used, were slim. The Remington was used and we gave it a go........well we don't have that anymore. We bought a m24/47 in 8mm. $249 built by FN and redone by zastava with new FN barrels. Like new tack driver and built to last......for $249 to my door. I understand profit margins, I really do....but when folks have to rely on these guns for life and limb, or feed the family, you would think folks would build better.....

Edwin Hubble

My son wanted a bolt action rifle, but had only $250. His choices, even used, were slim. The Remington was used and we gave it a go........well we don't have that anymore. We bought a m24/47 in 8mm. $249 built by FN and redone by zastava with new FN barrels. Like new tack driver and built to last......for $249 to my door. I understand profit margins, I really do....but when folks have to rely on these guns for life and limb, or feed the family, you would think folks would build better.....

Yup Ron, the trade your son made was a big step up in quality. A 24/47 is hard to beat and an 8mm Mauser will do anything an 06 will do. This 783 is my truck gun. It doesn't get fondled much, mostly just abused. It's a bottom tier rifle and I don't think I'd risk it on a dangerous game hunt.

I really hate it that buying American made will often get negative results. The Turks seem to have it figured out. The Japanese made Weatherby Vanguard is a heck of a gun. I like the Brazilian Rossi 92's real well. It really doesn't matter who makes them, the days of of made in USA ego are gone. Lots of reasons for it but laying blame as to why won't change a thing.

Ron if I were going off the grid and needed a gun that I could be 100% confident in the 24/47 would fit that bill over most current production bolt actions and my Russian SKS would get the nod over any AR15.

You two are making me real happy I did my Remington buying years ago. I have half a dozen 700LH's, the "newest" something like 30 years old. Only one (7mm Rem Mag) wears the original barrel, but that's what you had to do to get lefties in interesting calibers in those days. Clearly if I suddenly decided I needed another caliber, it would be best to screw a different barrel onto one of them.

As an aside, in all these years shooting 700's, I never had a single issue. Doesn't sound the case with contemporary versions.... Of anything Remington makes. Sad.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Yup Ron, the trade your son made was a big step up in quality. A 24/47 is hard to beat and an 8mm Mauser will do anything an 06 will do. This 783 is my truck gun. It doesn't get fondled much, mostly just abused. It's a bottom tier rifle and I don't think I'd risk it on a dangerous game hunt.

I really hate it that buying American made will often get negative results. The Turks seem to have it figured out. The Japanese made Weatherby Vanguard is a heck of a gun. I like the Brazilian Rossi 92's real well. It really doesn't matter who makes them, the days of of made in USA ego are gone. Lots of reasons for it but laying blame as to why won't change a thing.

Ron if I were going off the grid and needed a gun that I could be 100% confident in the 24/47 would fit that bill over most current production bolt actions and my Russian SKS would get the nod over any AR15.
    EKC, I am really not knocking you on your purchase. I am glad you bought and got a good one. I cut down and wrote an article on making a canoe gun from a Mosin m91. Now for the sake of full disclosure, I liquidated all of my Mosin M91's 2 years ago along with 2 Enfield mk2. The buying craze of 2014 was hard to pass up, and folks were crazy to buy them.

Both of those two guns were also great trunk,truck or canoe guns. My real displeasure is not with Remington as much as Ruger. They had, what I believed, the best rifle out there, the m77 mark 2 all weather. They had no reason other then pure greed to change, and they did it. I stopped buying Ruger. My mom bought an LCR.......that was the icing on the cake.

Did you try Numeric, or CDNN or Buds for your magazines?

Edwin Hubble

EKC, I am really not knocking you on your purchase. I am glad you bought and got a good one. I cut down and wrote an article on making a canoe gun from a Mosin m91. Now for the sake of full disclosure, I liquidated all of my Mosin M91's 2 years ago along with 2 Enfield mk2. The buying craze of 2014 was hard to pass up, and folks were crazy to buy them.

Both of those two guns were also great trunk,truck or canoe guns. My real displeasure is not with Remington as much as Ruger. They had, what I believed, the best rifle out there, the m77 mark 2 all weather. They had no reason other then pure greed to change, and they did it. I stopped buying Ruger. My mom bought an LCR.......that was the icing on the cake.

Did you try Numeric, or CDNN or Buds for your magazines?

I didn't take it as a knock on my gun. The 783 is what it is, which to me is a beater that can lay behind the seat year around and if gets a bit of rust...so what. If I were living in the bush and depending on my rifle for staying alive then a 783 wouldn't be my choice. I would most likely go with a model 70 Extreme Weather in a 30-06.

I bet the number of Mosins and K98s that have been sustaining the Native Alaskans would surprise us. Either one with a lifetime supply of ball ammo would suffice well and it's hard to argue with what has been working for years.

I think Chip would agree. What ever happened to the $150 30/30 or 742? I used to see these all over.

Edwin Hubble

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

EKC likes the 783 better than the RA. The 783 that I examined did seem to be a more solid or substantial gun.

Were I the manufacturer of either, I would offer different stock options, making them avaliable, after the purchase of the rifle. Stocks that have different drops, adjustable LOP, are NOT hollow and feel like a clam shell. I would also like a comb, so that is higher than the butt plate.

And of course, METAL trigger guards that are removable and replacable.

It seems to me, that the biggest downside of these new bargain priced rifles is the STOCKS.

I would imagine that the stock is the least expensive PART of these rifles, but perhaps the most IMPORTANT one, if fit and feel, and function is a concern.

I hate to see them cuttin corners on the stocks. They're selling rifles based on price, alone. Why not make them Modular and more attractive to folks who appreciate difference in design?

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    As an aside, in all these years shooting 700's, I never had a single issue. Doesn't sound the case with contemporary versions.... Of anything Remington makes. Sad.
    My old 700 in 8mag has been my baby since I bought it in 85'.....my fav out of all of them....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Here is the problem.....in 1992 when I graduated EMU, my mom asked me what I wanted as a graduation gift. So off to Guns Galore for a Ruger M77 mk 2 All Weather and a Redfield Golden 5 Star 3x9x40 in stainless. The cost of this beauty was $659.

The Ruger American by itself has a $629 retain price.

With today's manufacturing practices, costs and such.....profit margin is hugh.

For $650 you should be able to buy one heck of a rifle, not marginal. Even $400 should be better then the vast majority of what is out there.

Edwin Hubble

Here is the problem.....in 1992 when I graduated EMU, my mom asked me what I wanted as a graduation gift. So off to Guns Galore for a Ruger M77 mk 2 All Weather and a Redfield Golden 5 Star 3x9x40 in stainless. The cost of this beauty was $659.

The Ruger American by itself has a $629 retain price.

With today's manufacturing practices, costs and euesuch.....profit margin is hugh.

For $650 you should be able to buy one heck of a rifle, not marginal. Even $400 should be better then the vast majority of what is out there.

I bought a new Ruger American with a digital camo stock in 7mm-08 for $350. I found a NIB Leupold fixed 4x for $150 and put the two together. For $500 it should make my grandson a nice Indiana deer rifle.

I got a heckuva surprise when I fell into a Marlin X7S .308 a few years back. That was when they were selling new for something like $329, and came, sometimes, with an inexpensive scope. The surprising part was when I took that 308 to the range. It had a trigger that was adjustable down to a reliable 2.5 pounds, with minimal takeup, and little overtravel. It also shot 168 A Max's into "bug hole" groups. So, I bought 'em whenever I spotted 'em on sale.
    Well, then, Big Green took over Marlin, and whatever lump they were making couldn't compete at the price point the Marlin bolt gun was selling for, it got the axe. Rem did the same thing when they were bringing in the 798/799 Zastava bolt guns. I was buying the same rifles when they had "Charles Daly" and Mark X stamped on the barrels, and same story, incredible bargains, and equally incredible shooters. Guess that whenever Rem can't compete, they buy up the competition and then kill 'em.
    Anyway, in the last few months, CDNN had the last of their Marlin X series, some heavy barrel 308s, 308 and 243 'sporters', and some youth models. I bought what I could of the things, and none have disappointed.
    The Howa manufactured rifles, whether with their own name, or rollstamped Mossberg or Weatherby, are decent, dependable, accurate rifles. The Japanese figured out how to make firearms a LONG time ago!
    The Ruger, the TC, and most of the rest of the "bargain" rifles leave me unimpressed, for some reason. It seems like the best thing to happen at Ruger since Bill passed away is that they can finally offer high capacity magazines!