Thread: China Poot Dipnetting

Default China Poot Dipnetting

Opens tomorrow. I know it's usually slow the first couple weeks but is anyone heading over this weekend to see if the reds are running in any numbers? Would appreciate an update. If not I'll share my findings in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be interested as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

No fish yet
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks for the update planning on scoping out the next few weekends I'll report back

Haven't heard any success stories yet, but have been seeing more seals back in there.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Last two weeks of July have historically been the push in my experience. Looks that way again perhaps. Thanks for the update.

Does anyone know if there are angling options at china poot? We are staying in Halibut cove for the week, and not sure if I want to lug the dip net all the way over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
    Does anyone know if there are angling options at china poot? We are staying in Halibut cove for the week, and not sure if I want to lug the dip net all the way over there.
    Reds might be coming in this weekend, likely trickling though if so. You can use a regular landing net everywhere on the stream except one specific hole that's about 25' deep. Otherwise a regular net will do you fine there.

We were over there this week and saw 3 fish in the ocean, none in the river. The water was extremely high at the falls and full of logs, hard to get to the holes. The upper falls was so deep you couldn't get in at all. It was pretty dangerous high in my opinion.

As far as angling options, you can snag up to the ADFG mark, you could probably floss them at low tide if you wanted to beach and stay for several hours when they are in there, but haven't tried. The river is pretty grassy/mossy on the bottom so kenai style fly may not work.

Were in Tutka and first day 70%reds. Second day 90%pinks, and the pinks were HUGE. We weighed one pink at 10lbs and there were a lot of big ones, I caught kings smaller than that in the Anchor this year!

When going into the lagoon, be patient. We stayed through low tide and there was a traffic jam of boats caught in the current on the gravel bar going in, bumper boats was more like it. No one was thrown overboard but it was ugly. No need to get in when the inflow is going 10 knots, the fish will be there, just relax! if the current in the channel on the way in is really fast, then its not high enough. Wait another 20 minutes and cruise in damage free.