Thread: mooring in Seward

Default mooring in Seward

Why don't I see small craft moored overnight off the beach of Seward? Usually, whenever I visit a port town, the bays are speckled with craft moored overnight and the tenants use dingys to travel to and from the beach. When I used to set-net commercially, this is also how we moored our boats. We moored them off of the beach 100yrds or so and used a little dingy to retrieve them in the morning. If the weather was bad we would have a bit of bailing to do in the morning and if the weather was forecasted to be really bad we would moor the skiffs up a nearby river away from giant waves.

I'm curious as to why I don't see small craft moored in the bay from all of the weekend-warrior fishermen? Is the bottom not conducive to a proper anchor? Is the weather too unpredictable in Resurrection and the risk is too high for large waves? I have an inflatable SUP board that would be perfect for going to and from the beach. Then I wouldn't have to launch my boat each day for the weekend or worry about securing a transient spot in the harbor.

Thanks in advance for replies!

Look at chart 16682 http://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/16682.pdf and you will see why. Little deep even close to shore. The high tide and afternoon winds don't help either. In my 2 years on the USCGC Mustang only saw one yacht anchored in the bay. It was a 212 ft yacht.

People rarely boat town to town. As a small boater the routine is typically roll into town, launch boat, park trailer, head out for one or more days. Then retrieve boat and motor home at end of trip.

You'll see boats moored in various remote bays pretty much every weekend, but no real reason to do so in the towns you launch/retrieve from.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    People rarely boat town to town. As a small boater the routine is typically roll into town, launch boat, park trailer, head out for one or more days. Then retrieve boat and motor home at end of trip.

You'll see boats moored in various remote bays pretty much every weekend, but no real reason to do so in the towns you launch/retrieve from.

Paul stated it perfectly. That is how we do it up here.
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

The water is deep and there is a day breeze which almost always kicks up around 1pm. You can expect 2ft. waves by the harbor in the afternoon.

That said, the commercial fishing guys anchor up all the time on the east side of the bay when they are fishing for reds.