Thread: Grizz over bait?

Default Grizz over bait?

I have been out of the state for almost four years, but has the rule changed pertaining to hunting grizzly over bait stations? I remember that you better not shoot a brown bear anywhere close to where a bait station was located so that there would be no doubt you didn't kill it over bait. I'm asking because I was watching a hunting show the other day and on a guided hunt they shot both black bears and brown bears over bait.

Yes you can now in a lot of areas. Check out the bear bait forum. Rules are changing to a few units regarding taking all edible meat from a brown bear taken over bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong, roustabout. They just issued the new regs and on page 5:
    "All units open to brown bear baiting, the edible meat of brown bears taken at a bait site does not need to be salvaged. Furbearer carcasses may be used as bear bait"

Hallelujah!.jpg
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Wrong, roustabout. They just issued the new regs and on page 5:
    "All units open to brown bear baiting, the edible meat of brown bears taken at a bait site does not need to be salvaged. Furbearer carcasses may be used as bear bait"

Hallelujah!.jpg
    I have a feeling that the sentence should read, "IN all units open to brown bear baiting.....".

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    I have a feeling that the sentence should read, "IN all units open to brown bear baiting.....".
    Yep I think you're correct. Bottom of page 26 shows which areas are open to baiting brown/grizzly bears.

Dag nab it! Just imagine a bait station on kodiak..
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Yep I think you're correct. Bottom of page 26 shows which areas are open to baiting brown/grizzly bears.

Dag nab it! Just imagine a bait station on kodiak..
    Crap, I guess I should have read the whole regs. That's a really irritating way to word it on the summary page of changes.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I know before I hunted anywhere I would swing by the ADF&G and say this is what I'm hunting and where and I understand this to be the regulation covering it and ask them to clarify any discrepancy. I assume this would definitely be one of those situations. Good to know on the reg change though, I know some guys that had some beautiful brownies come in on their bait stations around Fairbanks but couldn't shoot em back then. Can't wait till next year to get back and set one up.

Quote Originally Posted by ga2akwild View Post
    I know before I hunted anywhere I would swing by the ADF&G and say this is what I'm hunting and where and I understand this to be the regulation covering it and ask them to clarify any discrepancy. I assume this would definitely be one of those situations. Good to know on the reg change though, I know some guys that had some beautiful brownies come in on their bait stations around Fairbanks but couldn't shoot em back then. Can't wait till next year to get back and set one up.
    Rule/law enforcement is the job of the troopers. Generally speaking, asking ADF&G about law enforcement is the same as asking the question on the forum. You'll get a various answers, some of which may be correct. Telling a trooper that you had gotten an ok from ADF&G for the infraction he is writing a ticket for will make him smile.