Thread: dipnet pole repair

Default dipnet pole repair

got one of those copper river black poles, and the push button thing a mig holding the net hoop onto the pole is broken, any place in town that sells those or what would be a better fix

20160629_145153.jpg

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    got one of those copper river black poles, and the push button thing a mig holding the net hoop onto the pole is broken, any place in town that sells those or what would be a better fix

20160629_145153.jpg
    Go to Lowes, they have them in the hardware section. Look by the specialty connectors and springs.

A 1/4"-20 bolt works pretty well.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Firstly I personally would get a can of neutral spray paint and spray that black pole with some neutral color. Those clips should be available at B&J Hardware downstairs, as well as Donalson's Net Co. in Anchorage. You can also use a steel 1/4X20" as suggested by another, but put some grease on the threads and bolt to minimize rusting and spray it down with oil or WD40 after use and a fresh water rinse. Do the same for pole extenders if you use them as sand gets in there and mucks them up once they are dry. For a nut on the bolt, a wing nut works well and wrap a piece of tape around the pole and between the wings of the nut just to be safe. You can use a standard nut as well, but will need a wrench to loosen those. Brass or stainless steel is better, but those are pricey. Make sure you have the near transparent netting on your net bag! The dark landing net works on the Copper, but isn't worth squat down on the Kenai or Kasilof. Again, Donalson's Net Co. has the net bags and as I recall at around $25.00. Not a bad idea to have a spare along just incase.

Haul it in, haul it out.

They are called a pole push button.
    Not sure who carries them locally but they are like $.99 on Amazon for a five pack.
    If you don't think you want to drill and bolt it.
    You could drill it just be careful not to crack the fiberglass.
    A wire lock pin is easier than a bolt if you do decide to drill through both parts.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've got a few of them, brand new, removed from my poles and replaced with bolts. More than one person has told me of them failing and their net getting swept away with the current.
    PM me and I will gladly give you a few if you want to meet somewhere in Anchorage. Or. .. ..
    B&J sells them downstairs and the price is pretty low.
    If bolting seems good to you, use a size that closely fits the hole, a loose (small diameter) bolt will quickly damage the pole material and weaken the joint.

Thanks for info, sounds like bolt & wing nut is a better option, heading to Kasilof in a few

Actually it is called a detent pin. I looked at the picture that you sent. The whole is worn out and I would not be surprised if you lost your net head even with a new pin or bolt. You could go with the quick fix for now but when you have more time cut off the worn out section and drill a new hole. Before cutting wrap with duct tape to prevent splintering. Then remove the tape and you will have a good as new dip net. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jmbx2ditto View Post
    Actually it is called a detent pin. I looked at the picture that you sent. The whole is worn out and I would not be surprised if you lost your net head even with a new pin or bolt. You could go with the quick fix for now but when you have more time cut off the worn out section and drill a new hole. Before cutting wrap with duct tape to prevent splintering. Then remove the tape and you will have a good as new dip net. Good luck.

That's what I thought but then I googled detent pin and got something totally different.
    https://www.grainger.com/category/ecatalog/N-1z0dtob

https://www.amazon.com/Kayak-Paddle-.../dp/B00M417MJU
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

If it's in Granger, it must be official. Thanks for the update.

Sorry about jacking the post, tore our net up tonight on Kenai. Where is best, earliest place to get a replacement net in Kenai or Soldotna tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    Sorry about jacking the post, tore our net up tonight on Kenai. Where is best, earliest place to get a replacement net in Kenai or Soldotna tomorrow?
    Maybe trustworthy hardware in Soldotna??