Thread: adjusting Yamaha shift cable

Default adjusting Yamaha shift cable

Port engine "clicks" when put in gear, and stays clicking until RPM's are greater than 10k. I'm assuming this is an adjustment of the shift linkage at the motor?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

How old is the motor/lower unit? It could be that your cable has stretched a bit and you can shorten up the connector at the motor end. It could also be that your clutch dog is worn enough to not get a good lock up. If it is an older motor with a steel shift shaft, it may have rusted enough that it isn't transferring the shift down to the lower unit as well as it used to.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Akfish1 View Post
    How old is the motor/lower unit? It could be that your cable has stretched a bit and you can shorten up the connector at the motor end. It could also be that your clutch dog is worn enough to not get a good lock up. If it is an older motor with a steel shift shaft, it may have rusted enough that it isn't transferring the shift down to the lower unit as well as it used to.
    Its a 2005 Yamaha 150.

Shouldn't be a shift shaft issue then. Not the greatest clutch dogs in those lower units, so adjust your cable if you can so you get a good lock up. The clutch dog teeth engage into the inner portion of the forward and reverse gears, so when one is wearing the other usually is as well. So unfortunately if you are going to replace a clutch dog, you probably want to do the set of gears all together. Hopefully the cable adjustment gets you back where you need to be.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Akfish1 View Post
    Shouldn't be a shift shaft issue then. Not the greatest clutch dogs in those lower units, so adjust your cable if you can so you get a good lock up. The clutch dog teeth engage into the inner portion of the forward and reverse gears, so when one is wearing the other usually is as well. So unfortunately if you are going to replace a clutch dog, you probably want to do the set of gears all together. Hopefully the cable adjustment gets you back where you need to be.
    So Casey is that adjustment at the engine? Two cables going in there ~ one for throttle, one for gear, correct? Do you adjust those nuts on the cable?

Yes, one for throttle, one for shift. The shift is in the lower position and slides in a track. Remove the cotter pin and pull up the black connector. loosen the nut, 8mm I think. then you can screw that black connector on a little farther for better engagement in forward. Don't go too far, the slider still needs to activate the little neutral switch below the track when the motor is not in gear.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK