Thread: Golf Cart batteries in an RV?

Default Golf Cart batteries in an RV?

Is any one using Golf Cart batteries in their RV. Also, I was told any battery that as MCA on it is not a true deep cycle battery. The more I read about 6 volt, 12 volt and Golf Cart batteries the more confused I get.

I run 6 volt golf cart batteries(Sam's Club) in my motorhome. Just replaced them this year the previous set had lasted me 10 years. Which ever way you go the more amp hours you have the longer your batteries will last between charging them. One thing to keep in mind is that your rv is a 12 volt system and with using 2 6 volt batteries if one goes bad your dead in the water, i have the space so i run 4 of them to remedy that problem should it arise. Regardless of which way you go i feel maintenance of the batteries in the off season is key to having batteries last over a longer period of time. Hope this helped some with your confusion.

I'm also running dual 6 volts in my camper. Make sure you get true deep cycle batteries, those combo marine/RV batteries are not the answer. I picked up my 6v's at Batteries Plus along with the cables to tie them together. The extended amp hours is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Also, I was told any battery that as MCA on it is not a true deep cycle battery. The more I read about 6 volt, 12 volt and Golf Cart batteries the more confused I get.
    That is probably true on it face but you can't use a broad brush to cover all the difference batteries if you want to pick the best battery for your RV. Why would you want to use a marine battery in a RV? Marine batteries cost more because they are design to take the pounding they would be subject to in a boat.

My current batteries were put in a couple of years ago by a previous owner and came from Costco. I have a good on board generator, but I want to up grade the batteries when they go bad, or after 4 years. Just trying to decide what will best meet my needs.

As for taking a beating, I am not sure the batteries I had in a couple of 26' boats I ran in the salt for many years took as much of a beating as the 2 batteries sitting on the tongue of my 30' Toy Hauler do on the Ak. Hwy. and these Alaskan roads. Ya got me.

In the future what ever battery I use will be a "true" deep cycle battery. I am currently looking at the Interstate Golf Cart batteries, but don't want to run 4 batteries, so I may just try and find the "best" 12 volt deep cycle batteries.

I did not understand the reason why you were looking at marine battery for the RV, now I know.

If you're planning on using the toy hauler in the winter you may want a battery that will work in very cold temperatures or not.

Instead of looking for a true deep cycle to replace the batteries in the toy hauler in two years. If you learn what you need to do to increase the life of the batteries you all ready have. It's possible to extend the life of the batteries beyond 6 years saving you a lots of money.

I recently switched to Trojan T105 6 volt batteries for my 5er and I bought them in Los Anchorage for about $100 LESS each than I could get on Amazon before shipping. You need two in series to reach 12 volts required. They are deeper cycled and don't "run out" as easy. More consistent. I love them.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

we switched from 12v to 6v batteries on our Rv, and I am very happy with the extended amp hours. wouldn't switch back.

I did the 2 golf batteries in series 10-years ago and they are still good. But LED bulbs made the biggest difference

these are the folks I went to in Los Anchorage. Great place to do business.

http://www.absak.com/

Fantastic prices too. There are phone numbers in the green bar at the bottom of this page. I went to the Anchorage store, but they are in Fairbanks as well as Renton, WA.
    Last edited by Roger45; 08-30-2016 at 13:36. Reason: wrong site quoted
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

You're in the Kenai area right? Stop in at Gary's Auto and Marine Electric on K-beach. He can set you up and explain how it all works with the 2 golf car 6v batteries. I went this route on my enclosed snowmachine trailer. I'll never go back to 12v. Even with a pair of good 12v. Batteries when Winter camping with the furnace running all night by morning the batteries were pretty much stone dead. With the golf car batteries the furnace is still spinning nice and fast. That one will sell you quick. Sure. I have a Honda generator I can let run all night to keep warm. But even as quiet as a Honda is, quiet is still often nicer.

"theultrarider"

I stopped and spoke with Gary the other day and he will help me get set up with the golf cart batteries when I can get time to do it.

I have been dealing with Gary for many years and he is a sharp guy on electrical stuff.

March thru October, Kenai Peninsula Alaska. I'm laid off and winter in Northern MN.

I run four Trojan T-105, 6 volt battery's wired in series and Parallel, to get 12 Volts in my off grid home.
    I cant say for sure how much of a beating they would take, but the T105's will hold a charge a long time.
    May the rivers be crooked and winding, and the portages lonesome, leading to the most "Amazing View".