Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Unit 13 Caribou Thread (2016-2017)

Default The Official Unit 13 Caribou Thread (2016-2017)

Yippee-ki-yay!!! It's that time of year again. Time to obsess and speculate over the condition, location and legal status of the beloved hooved animals that walk across the Nelchina basin. While I enjoyed better moose hunting last year than in years past, it was the first time I put in for the draw and thus struck out on caribou permits. This of course, meant that we saw over 100 within shooting range during our moose hunt. That, combined with my move to Southeast has me ridiculously pumped to get back to that wonderful high alpine and it's signature critter. Some of the wandering beasts from last year:

Now, to the status of the herd this year. I spoke with Frank at the Glennallen Fish and Game office today. Their intent is to fly the survey this week, weather permitting. He won't speculate about any of the conditions or numbers for this year until he has the survey data. I have an email into him so he can answer once he has survey data for the herd as it stands. As far as last year, the herd estimate before we started shooting was 47,800 animals. Definitely up over the top-end herd goal. His only comments on the winter herd status was that a larger portion than usual migrated way far east, which contributed to the small winter harvest and that he doesn't anticipate abnormal winter mortality. The hunters did come in under quota last year, but he didn't have exact numbers in front of him.

When they fly the survey and Frank gets back to me, I will post here with the survey count, bull/cow/calf ratio, locations where they're concentrated and any other info Frank feels free to share with me. Nothing is final until they officially release the quota and permit conditions, but I'd bet my favorite rifle that the herd will still be up over quota and the department would set a high quota without a cow restriction. As soon as I hear official numbers, I will relay them here.

In the meantime, let's do what we do best: ignorantly speculate, pass along hearsay and argue with each other online until it devolves into Yeti jokes. Good luck to everyone hunting the Nelchina bou this year and please remember; hunt legal, hunt ethical and above all, HUNT SAFE! Happy 2016 season everybody!

43 days until Tier 1 opens,
    53 days until Draw opens,
    65 days until general season moose opens,
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Man this summer has been a blur so far. Can't wait till early September to chase these magnificent creatures again. Hope everybody is having a great summer. Won't be too long now. Keep us updated and thanks for the post.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

I see the regs have been updated to say DC485 is one caribou(either sex).

Prior to this change, under legal animal it said 'to be announced'.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I see the regs have been updated to say DC485 is one caribou(either sex).

Prior to this change, under legal animal it said 'to be announced'.
    They will still set a bull/cow quota and can EO the tags to a specific sex at any time. If the numbers are as high as some suspect, I wouldn't be surprised to see it remain open to both or even go cow only at some point. Thing to keep in mind, if I recall, they issued over 12,000 permits, so a low count could result in a very short season.

Thanks for the update and please post the survey info!! Seems promising with the mild winter....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

ER: in 2013 they had 12000 permits also. But a heavy Winter kill made them change it to bull only and the hunt lasted through the first season to get the quota of 2500. If there are thought to be 47000 animals and the objective is 35-40000 there could be an enormous quota and hunters wont be near that harvest with it open all Winter. Less than half of hunters are successful in the best years. Just FYI I saw more caribou last year than in 30 years of hunting ( partly due to early snow). There were huge herds in the Southern Alaska range out of reach of hunters that were amazing to watch.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

andrew my man probably see you up there sometime. we have the 485 permit.

Cool. I'll be back in Anchortown on Sep 5th, then we'll be up there from the 7th through the 14th. I'll definitely get ahold of you.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

They weren't able to get the survey flown this week. Does anyone want to start a betting pool for herd size?

Default 10%

I'm still doing the 10% off taxidermy services for any and all nelchina caribou taken. In GMU 13.

I think this is the 5th or 6th year doing this.

Services include; Shoulder mounts, Europeans, antler mounts.

Dahlbergs Taxidermy
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Went riding up Belanger Pass yesterday. Probably saw about 40 caribou. No big bulls.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Saw hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of caribou throughout the months of May and June, while hunting bears. Lots of large bulls. Seems a lower number (comparatively) of neo-natal calves on the ground after June 15th, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I'm still doing the 10% off taxidermy services for any and all nelchina caribou taken. In GMU 13.

Dahlbergs Taxidermy
    What about for grizzlies taken in Unit 13 incidental to hunting caribou? I've got a feeling this is the year I'll be in the right place in the right time and punch a .416 caliber hole through one of those beautiful two-tone grizzlies up there.

This is my first year with a tier 1 tag. Can't wait to get my first caribou, unless my wife gets an opportunity to shoot before I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post

Dahlbergs Taxidermy
    What is the regular going rate then? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove the Denali Highway last weekend with a little ATVing. No bou seen but still way early. Did get to see a nice trailer flat...lol

Went up Belanger and took a right. Followed the ridge then droed into the bottom. Saw a grizz and about 15 caribou. Grizz was moving a weee bit fast...saved his life.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Went up Belanger Thursday and saw (no Joke) any where from 1500 to 2000, just like little ants everywhere! Some fine looking bulls, considering they still have a lot of growing to do still. A friend saw 2 wolves as well!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

It looked like a lot had moved thru there recently. A lot of tracks on the trails and caribou trails all tore up
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Not to burst anyones Bubble but with what is going on in Unit 23 you guys need be a bit concerned with AHTNA Incorporated will do to follow NANA's lead. You can bet this is coming to 13 and soon.

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast