Thread: High water

Default High water

Looks like some very high water for the Kenai this year. Is this an earlier than normal peak or are we just in for a very high water year all through July? Of my 6 summers in Alaska I don't think I have seen it this high before and am trying to game plan for sockeye fishing as my usual spots are current unfishable / inaccessible. Does anyone remember any years like this in the past and the way it affected the sockeye fishing?

I was at the river during the Memorial day week and I'm guessing that the river was 2-3 feet higher compared to the same time last year.

Aint that the truth. I ran the river and almost all of my go-to sockeye spots are un fishable or nearly so. I think it is slowly starting to drop, we just need the rain to hold off

Quote Originally Posted by Brown drake View Post
    Looks like some very high water for the Kenai this year. Is this an earlier than normal peak or are we just in for a very high water year all through July? Of my 6 summers in Alaska I don't think I have seen it this high before and am trying to game plan for sockeye fishing as my usual spots are current unfishable / inaccessible. Does anyone remember any years like this in the past and the way it affected the sockeye fishing?

HIGH water indeed!

That's the streamflow graph for the past 10 years (I plugged in 3650 days) and we are seeing July flows probably as high as I've ever seen. Most years the Kenai tops out at less than 20K CFS... with the exception of a few spikes representing a handful of flood events.

This year, the river never froze over (there was measurable discharge all winter) and streamflow hit 18K by the end of June! And that's a smooth steady rise with no flood event spikes to date for 2016. It's virtually all been glacial melt, and it's melting at a pretty good clip.

We've still got another month or more of warm weather ahead so who knows how much higher it will get by the end of July - early August.

Fishable red bars gonna be a scarce commodity by the time the fish show en masse.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I fished this weekend at a usual Kenai spot that I would access with hip waders and I wasn't able since it was so high. Hopefully the water level recedes. I did manage to get two fish from the boat on Sunday but struck out of Friday and Saturday.
    Ryan
    Kingfisher 2525 Honda 225 & 20