Thread: Honda problems

Default Honda problems

Alrighty, been through the carbs twice on my 2001 BF90 and I am still having the same problem. the engine runs great for the first 10 or so minutes, but then I lose power (can't get more than 4100 rpms wide open). It can sit for a while-20-30 min and then run like a banshee for 10 min. then blahhhh. I've replaced both the fuel filter under the cowling and the added inline raycor filter. I use the Mr. Funnel when I put gas in the the internal or external. (by the way engine acts up with both internal and external tanks)

I am beginning to wonder if this could be the CDI or something more than the fuel. You fellers have and input or ideas?

High Temp Limiter, plugged water pump?

Default Problems with Honda 90???

I had the same problem and replaced the coil/Ignitor unit on my port engine (Actually I replaced them on both engines)...it was a 2000 model...and was defective. When I explained the problem to Honda in Soldotna...Terry told me it was dirt/trash in carbs...and I needed to take them apart...Wrong Answer!

I find most of the time the Honda dealerships I have talked to have no idea what is wrong. The Honda motors are only as good as the dealership that is available. Unfortunately, if you were to talk to others that own Hondas...the support given from those that sold them to us have no idea! They have put the wrong gaskets on my engine...and the 90 wt gear oil leaked out. Sold me the wrong parts...another 44 mile rd trip drive. Ordered the wrong lower end...they wrote down all the serial numbers???

If I don't have to take them (engines in to be looked at)in...the more boating I do.

BTW when you order your coil/ignitors for your engine...tell them to leave the packaging intact...don't let them swap a old one for you new one..."Good Luck!

When the engine starts to run poorly, have you tried tapping on the bowl on the bottom of the carb to see if the float was stuck?
    Tennessee

I have seen this problem caused when the fuel tank is not properly vented.
    Loosen your fuel cap and see if that cures it. If it does it's the fuel tank vent. Some also have a valve on the vent line. That could be stuck.