Thread: Seward Salmon Report

Default Seward Salmon Report

As some of you may know, I turned the reigns of the Crackerjack Voyager over the Nik Ranta and I have entered a 12 step program called Halibut anonymous. I am fishing on my new boat Gray Light for Salmon. Kings in the spring and now both Kings and Silvers. I have been out regularly and there are some silvers showing up at Pony Cove, Cheval Narrows and over in Ailiak between Three hole bay and Chat cove. I found a nice school out by no name island with some Chums and big black rockfish mixed in. I have been trolling on my new boat, fishing two lines deeper for Kings and two shallower for silvers. I have been favoring the Arctic Fox Tube flies up higher in the water column 15 - 22 feet for the silvers. I have been dragging them behind a 00 herring dodger. Blue and White and Purple Haze seem to be doing the trick. I am sure you can use other lures too but those just look like a bait fish in the water. I have been catching the kings deeper on bait and there is a bunch of pollack mixed in, so be ready for lots to clearing your gear if you go that route.
    I have a nine day trip with some Brazilian Free Divers at the Port Ashton Lodge and after that around Mid July, you will see me out there every day, please do not smash into my new boat, it is the one thing that will give me a heart attack. Other than that, lets go get the salmon!!
    to answer your questions:

Its fiberglass - 32 x 9'6" LOA
    Its very very fast ( 45 knots+)
    It is a tank in rough water
    The builder is DR Radon Boat Building
    It has side scan sonar, forward looking sonar, Halo Radar with ARPA, Live bait tanks, and holds 340 gallons of gas and a ton of ice and 4 kayaks on top
    I fish four fishermen total
    Gets to Montague in an hour and 40 minutes, on a calm day
    Yes I miss catching halibut but it was time for a new challenge and catching kings is a serious challenge!!

Good luck to all of you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the update Capt., the new boat looks great.

Nice boat! If the weather is good I will be down at Port Ashton on the 22/23 of july. Maybe see you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful boat. I'm sure the salmon will have a lot to worry about.

Thank you for the heads up! I was just getting ready to ask about it. Do you think any silvers are in driftwood bay yet? seems early but I thought I would ask. Also when you say deeper for kings any chance I can get a rough idea? I've been doing pretty well with the silvers the last few years since I got my boat but I have not come close to dialing in the kings. I plan on making a run down to Seward on Tuesday

Kings are tricky. try dragging one a little deeper like 60'. Watch your fish finder closely, there are not any other marks that look like kings. Once you drag through pollock, there is no mistaking them, Same for rock fish. Use process of elimination to figure out what they look like.