Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Launching small boat in Seward

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    112

    Default Launching small boat in Seward

    Is it possible that I could launch my 20' Wooldridge Xl with the sport jet package in Seward if the seas are good? Sounds like launching in the morning and coming back in early afternoon is the ticket.

  2. #2
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRQAK View Post
    Is it possible that I could launch my 20' Wooldridge Xl with the sport jet package in Seward if the seas are good? Sounds like launching in the morning and coming back in early afternoon is the ticket.
    I have ran my Wooldridge AKII with a 150 Honda jet out of Seward,, I would have survival suits for all on board, as well as all other safety gear. Have a way to clear your jet, lots of flotsam to block a pump or cause it to not get on step. Gets dicey quick with a jet in heavy seas when you lose power and steerage. Don't ask me how I know. ,, Just be uber careful as these boats are very seaworthy, they are still made for other operations. I have hundreds of hours on my Wolly AKII in PWS, but I did change over to a prop after 2 seasons and some close calls.

    Be flexible and willing to wait out a blow,, the thermals lay down at first and last light. Have fun and be safe.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  3. #3
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Are you comfortable running in a 4' chop? You can pretty much expect that in that afternoon coming back to the launch, and the water seems to stack up the most the closer you get to the dock.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have ran my Wooldridge AKII with a 150 Honda jet out of Seward,, I would have survival suits for all on board, as well as all other safety gear. Have a way to clear your jet, lots of flotsam to block a pump or cause it to not get on step. Gets dicey quick with a jet in heavy seas when you lose power and steerage. Don't ask me how I know. ,, Just be uber careful as these boats are very seaworthy, they are still made for other operations. I have hundreds of hours on my Wolly AKII in PWS, but I did change over to a prop after 2 seasons and some close calls.

    Be flexible and willing to wait out a blow,, the thermals lay down at first and last light. Have fun and be safe.

    Steve
    Sounds like it is doable but not sure I want to risk it.

    Colin

  5. #5
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRQAK View Post
    Sounds like it is doable but not sure I want to risk it.

    Colin
    Don't want to scare you off, just careful. Just be smart and have fun,,I would get a mentor to take you out with just you 2 to get a feel for it without pressure from friends and family. PWS is a wondrous place...

    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    112

    Default

    That awesome. I'm pretty confident on the river and have been running a jet for awhile on rivers from Montana, Oregon, Washington and now Alaska. I have only operated work boats in the bay's and I'm pretty sure I could navigate my boat in Seward for some silver fishing every once in awhile.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Drive down. Look at the weather! Look at forecast! Make your decisions sitting at the harbor! Your boat is fine for use inside the bay. I've seen smaller boat all the way out to Rugged. Have fun trip and be safe.

    On side note during the silver salmon derby it looks as if it floats people take it out!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

  8. #8
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    I used to run my old Hewes Sportsman with with sport jet out of seward all the time. Just watch the weather.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  9. #9

    Default 20ft wooldridge sport with OBJ

    Ran my 20ft sport with 150 HP outboard jet lots of times in PWS and Seward, and a few times in Homer.
    It has a better bow for the ocean (higher sides and 18 degree V) than the Alaskans. It is basically the same as the Alaskans in the back (10 degree).

    Never went around either cape in Seward, but went lots of times right up to Cape Resurrection, Pony Cove and occasionally Barwell Rugged Islands. I carried a self inflating 6 man life raft, wore electronics on my life jacket, and had kicker tied to the main for helm steering and with separate battery and separate gas. Most of those 20ft wooldridge boats do not have flotation and will sink in 2 seconds if you get swamped. I also tripled the size of the bow pit splash well drain holes and installed high railings to make going up front safer.

    I put a a stomp grate on the outboard jet foot which I used whenever I started to lose speed due to seaweed, never had a big problem with kelp.

    My rule was max 15 knot stable forecast or don't go.
    Basically 10 knots = 2 ft, 15 knots = 3 ft, 20 knots = 4 ft
    The boat will get pounded in chop, and likely you will slow down to about 12 mph or less in anything over 2 ft to avoid being destroyed by the pounding. I had several welds in the framing fail (they were butt welds on the main framing beams and were only welded from one side) and had to repair them.

    Having said all that, I had about two dozen PWS/Seward/Homer trips on that boat.
    Versatile boat for sure, just know your limits and how to safely use it in different locations/conditions.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •