Thread: Upper Tangle to Dickey Lake Report

Default Upper Tangle to Dickey Lake Report

Ok...Thursday was a slow day so I grabbed one of my Old Towns and took a wack at the Upper Tangles. Very long day but a very cool trip. If you have the time and you have a strong back this is the trip for you. Take 2 days and don't stop it into one like I did. I will have sore shoulders for the next week!

Ok we paddled from the boat ramp and quickly said good by to the light weights. Made it to the 1st portage in about an hour and humped the Old Town up and over into upper Tangle Lake in about 20 mins. No camp gear so quick trip. The lake was a little windy but we made it to the upper end in about 65-70 mins and there were lots of Terns nesting on the biggest island so we got bombed by the protective parents. After a quick scouting trip we attacked the non existent Mud Lake Portage and parts of that really sucked but I am tough ...Right!

Made Mud Lake in about 40 mins of very hard work and was surprised to see how low it was. My wife and I paddles most of the lake looking for the inlet to the next lake and we did not find any water deeper than the paddle blade-15 inches maybe! Lots of water foul and some moose. We found the inlet and paddled up about 2/3 of a mile and ran into the reason the lake was so low...The biggest beaver dan I have ever seen covered the entire drainage and had cut off all but a small flow of water. Those beavers had constructed a dam that was atlas 9 feet high and the water was up to the rim! **** impressive and they were not happy with us climbing all over it! See pics.

We decided that we as high as we were going so it was out through upper Tangle River and back to the truck. Guess what...Most of upper Tangle River was less than 2 inches deep so we did our share of dragging making for a long afternoon/evening. Made it back to the truck and it was about 7:30 pm making for a 8 hour day on the water. Great trip but for you guys thinking of heading up and over to Dickey Lake this summer....Don't. If we don't see some serious rain that trip will be a slog.

Walt

Walt, I would really like to see that beaver dam; the pictures did not show up on my end.
    RandyS

Sorry...

Not sure if these show the height or not..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gulkana Rafting I'm trying to send you a message. Your box is full. Thank you.

I will clean it out..Give me a call at 907-250-4290

Thanks I'll call you in a day or two.

I've seen that ****. Those beavers have flooded out an entire valley! It is crazy. Very impressive to say the least.