Thread: Chulitna East Fork for Summer 2016

Default Chulitna East Fork for Summer 2016

Has anyone floated the EF of the Chulitna yet this year? Some fellow floaters and I are planning on floating from the bridge at MP 185 to the big bridge around MP 133 for the 4th of July weekend. Anyone have any info on current condition, sweepers, strainers, etc? Any info on what the river looks like this year would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

Just did the float from the East Fork Campground to Honolulu Cr. River clear no problems, just real high water

How long of a float is this?

Quote Originally Posted by mad View Post
    Just did the float from the East Fork Campground to Honolulu Cr. River clear no problems, just real high water

We are shooting to do it in 3 days. Two long days and a (hopefully) a short one on the last day. That's highway to highway (MP 185 - MP 133). I'm not sure of the time from the campground to Honolulu Cr. though.

One day to Honolulu Creek if you drive, shuttle, and rig on the same day. It makes a good campsite, there might be really red kings to play with, and it's the last of the clear water before the silt starts.

Over the memorial day weekend there was a river wide log jam that would not have been good to run in to. We were able to drag boats around in a low water channel. At one other spot we cleared a log that encroached on the main channel. Sounds like it's clear now, but keep in mind that conditions on the EF can change quickly and new sweepers or log jams may develop at any time. For timing, we took most of four days (including shuttles) to go from MP 185 to MP 133 and that was nice and leisurely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhole View Post
    Over the memorial day weekend there was a river wide log jam that would not have been good to run in to. We were able to drag boats around in a low water channel. At one other spot we cleared a log that encroached on the main channel. Sounds like it's clear now, but keep in mind that conditions on the EF can change quickly and new sweepers or log jams may develop at any time. For timing, we took most of four days (including shuttles) to go from MP 185 to MP 133 and that was nice and leisurely.
    I am considering doing this float this weekend as well. Where do people tend to park their vehicle after shuttling? I read there is a private driveway just above the bridge on mile 132 but provided no description of good places to leave vehicle.

The road down to the river is private and has a gate. There is a very wide highway shoulder just north of the bridge. A few years ago we inquired at the Princess Lodge about leaving a car. They said nope, nadda, no way. There is supposedly some type of access downstream of the bridge but I'm sure that is private too. The easement under the bridge is public. One more day's float to Talkeetna or Sunshine eliminates the private land issue at the MP133 bridge.