Thread: K bay shrimp

Default K bay shrimp

I am new to shrimping and the Kbay area. I will be staying at the Sea Star public use cabin for a few days the middle of July. Is there any shrimping in the area that I should bring my traps for? If so is there a special permit needed? Any advice is appreciated.

There is no open shrimping or crabbing in K Bay.

And the steamer clam possession limit has been reduced to I think 80 in total combination (check the regs).

I think you'll find the best shrimping runs from Whittier to Valdez. The Sound end of PWS and Resserection Bay aren't worth shrimping, even though you can shrimp in those waters. I wouldn't expect K-bay to be productive shrimp habitat.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I hit resurrection for 3 days a couple weeks ago. I went where the bio told me and we varied our depths and worked our pots in areas that would have hammerred them in pws and I got 4 shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I hit resurrection for 3 days a couple weeks ago. I went where the bio told me and we varied our depths and worked our pots in areas that would have hammerred them in pws and I got 4 shrimp.

That's 4 more than I've herd of anyone else getting in resurrection

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I was actually outside of resurrection bay. 50 miles from seward harbor.

Thanks for replies. That answered my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I wouldn't expect K-bay to be productive shrimp habitat.
    Actually there are a few good shrimping spots there.
    My dads neighbor used to commercial fish for them in K-Bay 30+ years ago.
    His wife was telling me about some of their better spots.
    They used to sell them on their own back then.
    Now he commercial fishes them in PWS by himself at 80 years old.
    I wish they had the money to do more crab/shrimp studies in the Homer area.
    Of course sometimes I question their results.
    Lots of spots with no crab/shrimp. But some people certainly have the knack for finding them.
    My old neighbor in Soldotna couldn't find the tanners when they were open.
    I fished for 2 years several times a year before coming up blank on legal crabs.
    Oh well time to quit rambling!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

When I was a kid we set shrimp pots about half a mile out behind the harbor in Homer, did good there. We also set crab pots in Halibut Cove.. Used to pull 20-30 king crab a trip.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Has anyone done well shrimping the North Gulf Coast? I believe it's open East of Gore Pt.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Has anyone done well shrimping the North Gulf Coast? I believe it's open East of Gore Pt.
    Did a 24 hour soak on four pots up McCarty fiord on the moraine couple weeks ago, got 6 shrimp total.

Nunya.....That's really interesting about McCarty Fjord. I don't understand why PWS has the shrimp and those Fjords don't. Its an ocean full of mysteries. Thanks for the report

As for K-Bay..
    I also have heard that 30 years or so ago K-bay had good shrimp.....for sport pots the target was mainly coonstripes I hear. The shrimp aren't there in good numbers anymore from what I hear and where they went I'm not sure..... There used to be a fair bit of trawling in the bay and surrounding areas for shrimp (think 1960-1980's). The trawling was primarily for pink shrimp and humpback shrimp which we don't target when sportfishing (though I'm sure we would given the opportunity). The shrimp trawling fell off in Kodiak around the same time so environmental factors are a suspect as harvest had been sustainable for a decade or two and the shrimp apparently haven't come back much despite the fact that nobody is fishing for them. It's very well could be a question of "what eats what" with other species having thrived and shrimp having not... Take this info with a grain of salt but I think the historical timing is more or less correct.

Live in Seward. Tried from PWS to the east, Resurrection, and McCarty/Aialik/NW to the west and never had more than a couple. I'm sticking to the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayrunner View Post
    Nunya.....That's really interesting about McCarty Fjord. I don't understand why PWS has the shrimp and those Fjords don't. Its an ocean full of mysteries. Thanks for the report

As for K-Bay..
    I also have heard that 30 years or so ago K-bay had good shrimp.....for sport pots the target was mainly coonstripes I hear. The shrimp aren't there in good numbers anymore from what I hear and where they went I'm not sure..... There used to be a fair bit of trawling in the bay and surrounding areas for shrimp (think 1960-1980's). The trawling was primarily for pink shrimp and humpback shrimp which we don't target when sportfishing (though I'm sure we would given the opportunity). The shrimp trawling fell off in Kodiak around the same time so environmental factors are a suspect as harvest had been sustainable for a decade or two and the shrimp apparently haven't come back much despite the fact that nobody is fishing for them. It's very well could be a question of "what eats what" with other species having thrived and shrimp having not... Take this info with a grain of salt but I think the historical timing is more or less correct.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Have only tried once, soaked pots a couple hours and nada. Have also soaked pots while fishing in the Southern end of PWS and overnight pulls yielded a few shrimp per pot.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.